Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenChrome: There's Apparently Not Much Left

Phoronix: OpenChrome: There's Apparently Not Much Left

While open-source activities around Intel, AMD Radeon, and NVIDIA (Nouveau) hardware continues to flourish, for the unlucky users still dependent upon VIA x86 hardware, the OpenChrome and VIA kernel mode-setting initiatives seem to have come to a standstill...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- OpenChrome.org that was once the project site for this driver has now apparently turned into a travel blog.

I like that

Comment

via still exists?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        via still exists?
        Probably not They does not update drivers even for Windows in the last two years, and their newsletter stays at that time, forum is 404, so... .

But thats according to what i see on the web site, bt they have some sales result so who knows .

Last edited by dungeon; 21 May 2014, 09:43 PM.

Comment

hm

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          via still exists?
          i think VIA os now part of HTC

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I like that
            This is pure nerd sarcasm!

Comment

OMG. Waaah. Yes, somehow this is bitter irony. Probably in a certain time the driver might not even compile anymore with recent X.orgs, never be ported to Wayland and then you got to use VESA.
              For one part it is sad to see the decline of manifold in terms of GPU manufacturers but on the other hand I'd finally say good riddance VIA. Your chips have plagued me long enough, or better your driver / spec support that wasn't there.
              I also noticed that a lot of mainboards now incorporate more and more Realtek Chips and I see less and less VIA. I am not really into cellphones but I'll make sure to avoid HTC, just to be on the safe side.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                OMG. Waaah. Yes, somehow this is bitter irony. Probably in a certain time the driver might not even compile anymore with recent X.orgs, never be ported to Wayland and then you got to use VESA.
                For one part it is sad to see the decline of manifold in terms of GPU manufacturers but on the other hand I'd finally say good riddance VIA. Your chips have plagued me long enough, or better your driver / spec support that wasn't there.
                I also noticed that a lot of mainboards now incorporate more and more Realtek Chips and I see less and less VIA. I am not really into cellphones but I'll make sure to avoid HTC, just to be on the safe side.
                If Linus Torvalds, personally, acquired microsnot, shut it all down, and transferred its patents to OIN.... would you boycott Linux?

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I like that

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Openchrome/

Comment

Hi, greetings from VIA. We are still around and definitely not part of HTC.

Most of our current products and activities are up at http://www.viaembedded.com/

As for OpenChrome, we are looking into the status of things. It would indeed be great to get into the mainline kernel for better maintainability.

Comment

Working...
                    X