Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New X.Org Being Added To Rawhide For Fedora 21

Phoronix: New X.Org Being Added To Rawhide For Fedora 21

For users of Fedora "Rawhide", the latest X.Org code is soon to land well in time for Fedora 21...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If Fedora's already switching over to XWayland, how will gaming performance be affected? I remember seeing that it hurt performance, but that was months ago. Will they have closed some of the performance gap by then?

Comment

X.Org without root privilegies

Finally, after all these years!

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
        If Fedora's already switching over to XWayland, how will gaming performance be affected? I remember seeing that it hurt performance, but that was months ago. Will they have closed some of the performance gap by then?
        From what I remember it's a very low hit in performance. I think there's no reason to worry about performance. For now, the focus must be compatibility, correct bugs etc

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
          From what I remember it's a very low hit in performance. I think there's no reason to worry about performance. For now, the focus must be compatibility, correct bugs etc
          I thought so. I knew that making it run well is first, but I'd thought they'd wait until performance was better before using it. Maybe they need it in wider usage in order to find the less common bugs though.

Comment

Nothing new to note about XWayland:

Still no mouse grabbing (needs a Wayland extension), thus most mouse games won't work properly (you can still play with keyboard and gamepad...).

The performance shouldn't change compared to last test, because it is missing Present support (XWayland uses Dri3 for direct rendering which is used with Present. When no Present support is implemented by the DDX, a fallback is used, which is not as performant as full support).

However Gnome and XWayland are ready to use for a desktop usage.

BTW, if you want to get better what you can expect from Wayland or not, you can read http://axellinuxnews.blogspot.com/
            Last edited by mannerov; 29 April 2014, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X