X.Org Server 1.16 ABI Breakage Causes Concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
    the problem is the xorg, we need a new display server. always problems with xorg support over the years, to much changes version by version without gains for users...
    The problem is nvidia and their binary blob. It's not the first time their driver have problems. In Kubuntu 13.10 I had black screen whenever I installed custom kernel. nvidia sucks, but their driver is little better than catalyst. Nvidia have problems? I don't care, they can even disappear.

Comment

well is your pc only

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      The problem is nvidia and their binary blob. It's not the first time their driver have problems. In Kubuntu 13.10 I had black screen whenever I installed custom kernel. nvidia sucks, but their driver is little better than catalyst. Nvidia have problems? I don't care, they can even disappear.
      is your pc problem, when i use ubuntu 13.10 i install nvidia non free with bumblebee. with prime and normal in a desktop all working well, nvidia provides the only good driver in linux world

Comment

In Kubuntu 13.10 I had black screen whenever I installed custom kernel.
        no comment...

Comment

I do agree that their driver being proprietary is the main concern in many cases.
          Wayland and kms support, Xorg development, graphical glitches with compositing starting with nVidia 334.21 (still there 2 months after the update), compatibility with OpenCL (broken during 3 weeks by the time 334.21 was released), etc.
          So yeah, an open development would have all this avoided, most certainly.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
            nvidia provides the only good driver in linux world
            LOL. Batshit crazy or what.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
              there is no need for qa in that case, cause even if the abi changes, when you compile xorg/mesa it's all ready and done. Open source drivers do not suffer from abi breakage/api breakage, cause the necessary changes are made alongside the api/abi at the same time, instead the binary blob needs constant catching up.
              Are you familiar with QA testing? There most certainly is a need for it even for changes like this. "It compiles" does not mean "new bugs didn't appear".

Comment

You need to install a module for every kernel you have, only the userland part is shared(which is the largest).

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                  You need to install a module for every kernel you have, only the userland part is shared(which is the largest).
                  Isn't dkms supposed to do the job?

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                    no comment...
                    By custom kernels I mean the ones from Ubuntu kernel ppa. It worked till Kubuntu 13.10.

Comment

Isn't dkms supposed to do the job?
                      If you wan't, I prefer to make a package.

Comment

Working...
                      X