Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you are not familiar with

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    Kind of stupid to have to correct HW design decision in software. At least at this level.
    You are obviously not familiar with ALSA :P

In fact, i dont see why they cant create something like .asoundrc but for Xorg...
    But it's probably my ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
      DisplayPort 1.2 did fix the bandwidth issue. This Dell monitor shows up as two monitors over a single cable when it could easily show up as one monitor over a single cable.
      I read that this is because the controllers of the monitor can't handle it as a single one. Maybe a cost related choice but i have no idea TBH.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        You are obviously not familiar with ALSA :P

In fact, i dont see why they cant create something like .asoundrc but for Xorg...
        But it's probably my ignorance.
        They did. Xorg.conf. God help you if you ever have to add more than a few lines to it because you're definitely in uncharted territory at that point
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          They did. Xorg.conf. God help you if you ever have to add more than a few lines to it because you're definitely in uncharted territory at that point
          *chuckle* X hasn't changed much in the last 4 years since I moved out of AMD.

Federated configuration (X.org) helps, but then you have the user based (.config) and driver (amdpcsdb) specific configuration. It's hell...

The issue is differentiation. You can either wait for the standard and move en-masse, or you can push forward with a differentiator and deal with the issues... Back in approx 2006 there were two pushing the limits of DVI... Apple's Cinema display would "prefer" low res by the standard, but could do 2560 which was obviously what the user preferred. The other one was the IBM T221 (IIRC) which was dual channel - two connectors, one pane of glass. As they came out they had to partner with the graphics and operating system vendors to get hacks put in place in the presence of these monitors.

Realistically, if the path forward is smooth, everyone would be doing it. If you aren't pushing against limits, you aren't pushing hard enough to be calling your self hi-tech or innovative. Unfortunately some markets drag helpless users along too... And Linux is dragged further under foot .

Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            Are there so many 4K display users (on Linux) that this really needs to be an issue?
            I saw a 39" 4K monitor for $500. It does 30Hz 4k and 120Hz 1080p over HDMI. I expect a lot of dual monitor setups are going to be replaced at those prices.

Comment

What I meant

Xorg.conf can only be, by default, modified as root. .asoundrc can be modified as user.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                Xorg.conf can only be, by default, modified as root. .asoundrc can be modified as user.
                Oh oh oh, you want user defined configs. Sorry I thought you just meant like you could override what the hardware said via a config file
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Yes

Oh oh oh, you want user defined configs. Sorry I thought you just meant like you could override what the hardware said via a config file
                  And one does not exclude another. Look at .asound under ALSA.

Comment

Changelog

3D tv!
                    YES!
                    Consumers said no.

Comment

True

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                      3D tv!
                      YES!
                      Consumers said no.
                      I know you're trolling, but it's true. Blu-Ray uptake has slowed also, DVDs are actually outselling Blu-Ray 3 to 1 as most consumers say they "Don't see a difference". I personally do see a difference but Blu-Ray has too many issues for me; like strict DRM, slow loading times, Firmware updates and the general horrendous and unreliable quality of the players. After 3 Blu-Ray players I bought a dedicated Upscaling DVD player and was quite impressed. It's not quite HD but good enough. My HD Satellite fills in for the rest of my TV viewing.

Blu-Ray just wasn't the jump that we experienced with VHS vs DVD. The 3D fad faded and while 4K is here, the hardware is badly designed and Graphic cards are hardly ready to handle that level of Gaming. It actually seems as if the manufacturers are intentionally driving consumers away from the "Boob Tube".

Comment

Working...
                      X