The Major DRM Graphics Update Sent Into Linux 3.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    This is the first time you're hearing about this?? o.O Its been posted on Phoronix quite a few times.

The reason you can't have multiple drivers installed right now is because they have to provide libgl.so and they all conflict. So the new plan is to make libgl.so be a sort of launcher that loads the correct vendor-specific library, this way they can all co-exist on the same system. Right now the only way I know of that you could have Optimus working (which requires Intel drivers AND Nvidia drivers, but Nvidia replaces tons of Mesa stuff) is for the Nvidia driver to internally provide the Intel driver.

Once the new ABI is defined and set, multiple libgl's can exist together and be loaded as needed
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I don't know how I missed that one.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
      X