The GLX Rewrite Lands For X.Org Server 1.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even with this X.org is very bloated!

Just compare X.org vs Wayland, Weston vs Fluxbox (LXDE is just to illustrate a complete lean desktop ;-) )
    X.org is increadible bigger than Wayland, but Fluxbox is near the same as Weston.

Software Lines of code
    X.org 2,265,231
    Wayland 13,180
    Weston 59,585
    FluxBox 52,790
    LXDE 116,459

Sources:

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
      Just compare X.org vs Wayland, Weston vs Fluxbox (LXDE is just to illustrate a complete lean desktop ;-) ).
      X.org is increadible bigger than Wayland, but Fluxbox is near the same as Weston.
      Note that the X linecount includes a lot of drivers and applications, not just X itself :

Test signature

Comment

Lines of code is pointless

Lines of code is a pointless measurement.

Just because I can write the same thing in a few less lines means nothing unless there is measurement of performance gain.

Comment

I must agree with you bridgman, I didn't even noted that these Loc of X.org are mixed with other software.

Originally posted by squirrl View Post

Just because I can write the same thing in a few less lines means nothing unless there is measurement of performance gain.
          Well, the programmers of Wayland and X.org are basically the same. So, the same people would use many more lines of code in one program and another for doing the same?
          If I wrote a program to do something in a certain way and if I do another program other way using C it's very hard to me to admit one will have 500 Loc and the other 5,000,000,000. Of course I can be wrong, but it's my opinion.

Anyway, it's very good to see X being improved and Wayland growing as an alternative to X.

Comment

What? No it isn't. Where do you get that idea?

It's far from pointless, as long as you understand what it actually measures.

Comment

Less lines of code means easier to understand code, and that means easier to maintain code. It has nothing to do with performance, although it usually helps indirectly (if it's easier to understand, it will probably be easier to optimize, though it is not always that way, and it might also improve cache efficiency, but again, it is not always the case).

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                Less lines of code means easier to understand code, and that means easier to maintain code.
                Not necessarily, for my personal projects I'll purposefully write verbose and literal code just so that when i go back and look at it I can follow it in a more "step by step" manner. Sure I could combine steps into single lines with nesting or just using different operators but If I don't look at the code for a year and totally forget what I was thinking, I want to be able to just LOOK at the code (in combo with the comments) and work it all back out.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Not necessarily, for my personal projects I'll purposefully write verbose and literal code just so that when i go back and look at it I can follow it in a more "step by step" manner. Sure I could combine steps into single lines with nesting or just using different operators but If I don't look at the code for a year and totally forget what I was thinking, I want to be able to just LOOK at the code (in combo with the comments) and work it all back out.
                  But you don't have 5 different implementations of the same functionality sitting in your code, now do you

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    But you don't have 5 different implementations of the same functionality sitting in your code, now do you
                    Not purposefully, no :P
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X