"Atomic Display Framework" Shown For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robclark View Post
    Hi Ericg, what android (and weston) are missing is the ability to atomically update the primary scanout layer on the same vsync as the overlay layers. It isn't really related to what keithp is doing w/ dri3/present. There are a couple other (mostly minor) things, but it all can and will be added to KMS (and there are already proposals about how to do the atomic pageflip/modeset parts of it). So, can KMS *today* handle android's (and weston's) needs.. no. But what is missing can be added.
    Hi Rob,
    If I understand you, currently, HWComposer isn't meeting android's needs, but the proposed ADF can currently do this. The problem with it, as you've said, is that you are adding a separate "non-standard" driver target, and that the only problem it solves (atomic updates) can be added to kms/drm.
    So, the current situation is that everyone wants to move to atomic partial page updates, but that no one is currently shipping a solution, but there are the above paths forward?

Thanks/Liam

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      Hi Rob,
      If I understand you, currently, HWComposer isn't meeting android's needs, but the proposed ADF can currently do this. The problem with it, as you've said, is that you are adding a separate "non-standard" driver target, and that the only problem it solves (atomic updates) can be added to kms/drm.
      So, the current situation is that everyone wants to move to atomic partial page updates, but that no one is currently shipping a solution, but there are the above paths forward?

Thanks/Liam
      well, you can say that KMS isn't currently meeting HWComposer's needs for composition bypass. Not really anything to do w/ partial page updates (whatever that is). But if you are using hw overlays for some surfaces, you need to be able to keep that in sync w/ the gpu rendered layers so all the updates happen in sync. (And, as I've mentioned before, this is nothing specific to android, weston or any other wayland compositor using hw bypass (overlays) needs the same thing.) KMS doesn't currently give a solution for this, although there are proposals about how to do it it. (Ie. atomic/nuclear modeset/pageflip.) Part of the reason that KMS atomic support hasn't moved forward in the last ~6mo or so is that since I left TI (and no longer had access to sgx driver code), I haven't had a driver with which to implement atomic prototype. Now that I have msm drm/kms driver, I'm closer to being able to work on atomic again.. I still need to implement kms plane (overlay) support in msm, and a few other bits and pieces, but hopefully I should be returning to atomic support in kms in the near(ish) future.

Comment

Working...
      X