X.Org Foundation Loses Its 501(c)(3) Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    That's the biggest problem! He can be a good engineer, but an horrible accountant. They need skilled people to manage the non-technical stuff, as this is a large project that needs promotion and get a lot more management. They need a proper website designer, too.
    There is not enough money in the foundation to hire such people, and no volunteers stepping forward to it other than the developers.
    Talking about what other people should do is much easier than stepping forward to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by alanc View Post
      There is not enough money in the foundation to hire such people, and no volunteers stepping forward to it other than the developers.
      Talking about what other people should do is much easier than stepping forward to do it.
      Of course, you are right. It's a lot easier talk about what other people should do.

But I wondered that having companies like Intel sponsoring the development by hiring people like Keith Packard, they would get enough sponsored to have at least a minimun of non-devs working for essential tasks.

The Document Foundation is runned by volunteers and others are hired by other companies, yet they have a nice BoD with even marketing people. But it's a different project, because more people notice an end user application than a graphics subsystem.

There are organizations that could help with the non-technical work:

- Software Freedom Conservancy.

- Software Freedom Law Center.

- Software in the Public Interest (already mentioned, LibreOffice is an associated project too).

Comment

Software Freedom Law Center already handles the X.Org legal issues, including the 501(c)3 work.

SPI & SF Conservancy are already on our list of orgs to look into taking over the fiscal management work for us. Bradley Kuhn from the Conservancy organized a nice preso at OSCON on Non-Profit Organizations for FLOSS Projects that covered these options and others.

Comment

This is just sad

At this point maybe the foundation just needs to dissolve. I mean, seriously, if you can't do this then what exactly is the foundation doing?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            At this point maybe the foundation just needs to dissolve. I mean, seriously, if you can't do this then what exactly is the foundation doing?
            I think the answer would be "doing what they're supposed to" -- organizing conferences to make plans & communicate progress/ideas for the graphics stack, supporting volunteer developers to work on important parts of the stack, etc...
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I think the answer would be "doing what they're supposed to" -- organizing conferences to make plans & communicate progress/ideas for the graphics stack, supporting volunteer developers to work on important parts of the stack, etc...
              They can afford to do all that but can't afford 1 admin to take care of the bills? Seems like misplaced priorities. And if they can't afford both, like i said, they should dissolve.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                They can afford to do all that but can't afford 1 admin to take care of the bills?
                Yes, as all that only runs around $10,000-$20,000 per year.

Comment

Originally posted by alanc View Post
                  Yes, as all that only runs around $10,000-$20,000 per year.
                  Except it doesn't only run that, does it? Or we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

I honestly find this very offensive. It's like you are arguing that you should be able to do this because you want to, and silly little things like following the law and paying debts don't apply to you.

It's really obvious why this is happening, and continuing to happen, if everyone involved has this kind of viewpoint. And I think you should be ashamed.

If you can't afford to buy something, don't buy it. If you can't afford to run the foundation, stop trying to run it. Don't pull this crap and then pooh-pooh anyone who complains by saying it's too expensive to do the right thing.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 24 August 2013, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Just shut all development down, everyone should use windows or mac anyways.

Comment

All of this proves that the X.org foundation requires a healthy opposition, as otherwise nothing happens. Luckily we, in the meantime, have public records, and the actual composition of the board is no longer a bunch of self-servers from the same political group, like it was several years ago. But still, without more scrutiny the foundation still is a shambles.

Comment

Working...
                      X