No announcement yet.

Help Name The New X.Org DRI3 "Present" Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PONGU (Present/Pixmap On Next Graphics Update)

Comment

FinallyVsync? xD the new name

Comment

Mssbinf?

Comment

Kitchensync

Comment

Push

vSyncPush
            SyncPush
            SyncDisplayPush - sdp
            vSyncDisplayPush - vsdp
            vBufferPush - vbp

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              I'd suggest "VSyncWorksForMe".
              Yeah, "works for me" is a very common problem in non-commercial open source projects in general.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Yeah, "works for me" is a very common problem in non-commercial open source projects in general.
                It's a common problem everywhere - if a developer can't see a problem manifest itself, how can she fix it? She would need more information about the problem in order to reproduce it herself (and then fix it).

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                  It's a common problem everywhere - if a developer can't see a problem manifest itself, how can she fix it? She would need more information about the problem in order to reproduce it herself (and then fix it).
                  Commercial companies are more likely to follow up on you and send you different things to try, like special builds or patches that generate lots of debug output which you then send back. I had that experience with NVidia, for example. In many non-commercial projects on the other hand this isn't done, since the developers are doing this as a job. Or they're doing it in order to solve their own problems, not yours.

There's always exceptions to this, of course. There are many examples of open source developers being very thorough when it comes to bugs and trying to fix it even if they can't reproduce it.

if a developer can't see a problem manifest itself, how can she fix it?
                  Just wanted to note that I've fixed quite a few bugs myself that I couldn't reproduce on my machine. It is possible. But it required more time and lots of communication with the reporter. And both parties must be willing to do that; if the reporter just drops the report on the tracker with a "just reporting it happened, don't bug me about it", then it's extremely difficult to fix it if it can't be reproduced.
                  Last edited by RealNC; 15 August 2013, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X