Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org 7.8 Isn't Actively Being Pursued

Phoronix: X.Org 7.8 Isn't Actively Being Pursued

While there's an X.Org 7.8 Wiki page that mentions planned features like XWayland integration and video driver hot-plugging, there isn't active work towards putting out the X.Org 7.8 katamari nor specifically on delivering these mentioned features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Glad to hear it, the sooner I can have a Linux system with no Xorg at all the better. It's entirely correct that the lion's share of effort goes into Wayland and the surrounding ecosystem required to get Wayland working.

Working on Xorg now would be like rearranging the layout of the deck chairs on the Titanic. All we need is the required XWayland support, and any serious bugfixes. Not new features. Thus begins the long-awaited X voyage into legacy status.

This policy seems entirely sensible to me.

Comment

that depends on how long it would take for everyone to port their stuff to gtk3 or qt5. my estimation is that it would years upon years. and that means having a crappy x stack running inside wayland or making x better.

Comment

Apps like Firefox and Libre/Open Office will be a problem as firefox still uses GTK2 on LInux and as VCL isn't wayland ready.

Comment

I hope XWayland will become so dominant that X.Org will eventually be reduced into a Wayland back-end completely. XWayland as it stands right now is this minimal fix\hack to pair the old horse with the newer Wayland and get backwards compatibility done with the least amount of effort. Maybe something like the RDP or VNC backends... Just the functionality required instead of all the legacy code.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
            Apps like Firefox and Libre/Open Office will be a problem as firefox still uses GTK2 on LInux and as VCL isn't wayland ready.
            does the linux version of vlc use qt4?

Comment

For those who didn't read or didn't understand the article, work continues on the individual X modules from X.Org, including the upcoming Xorg server 1.15 release and the actively maintained drivers. There's just no one who is actively working on the "katamari" releases to roll them all up into one unified set, since so few people use those instead of the individual module releases. (It's not a policy decision as much as a lack of volunteers. Even before I stepped down from the release manager role they'd been coming farther and farther apart, with little complaint.)

And while all Linux users may need is Xwayland and the X libraries needed for legacy clients to talk to it, X has always been cross-platform, and non-Linux users will be using the rest of X11 for a while still.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                that depends on how long it would take for everyone to port their stuff to gtk3 or qt5. my estimation is that it would years upon years. and that means having a crappy x stack running inside wayland or making x better.
                I'm only using KDE applications, Steam and Firefox. KDE should run perfectly fine without X in upcoming months. When comes to Firefox I can give up on it and switch to some Qt5 based browser. An only problem will be with steam, but rather than running entire X, using xwayland seems to be a way smarter idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                  So QupZilla and Calligra will be happy about this.

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                  does the linux version of vlc use qt4?
                  VCL, not VLC. VLC is the toolkit used by LibreOffice and OpenOffice.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    VCL, not VLC. VCL is the toolkit used by LibreOffice and OpenOffice.
                    Fixed that for you
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X