No announcement yet.

X.Org 7.8 Isn't Actively Being Pursued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bozley, go back under a bridge where you belong.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      Bozley, go back under a bridge where you belong.
      i found a pic of Bozley

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$
        The glorious Canonical devs will make Mir work with the proprietary graphics drivers. Can't say the same for the wayland amateurs.
        You still get it backwards, seems that you are resistant to learning. The Wayland developers are those with years of experience in developing display servers, so they are the pros, while the Mir developers are those with no experience, hence the amateurs.
        You may also have missed the part that both, Mir and Wayland, run on EGL drivers (while you can use a different backend on Wayland), so if the driver comes for one it will be usable by the other.
        I know that learning or backing up your claims with facts is something you aren't able to, but if you try really hard maybe someday you will.

Comment

Originally posted by alanc View Post
          I don't know why I even bother explaining things when people hallucinate to think the complete opposite to be true.
          Sorry Alan, chalk that one off to wishful thinking . I haven't hallucinated since I did a 72+ hour marathon on Nettrek back in 1994 via telnet over a 56k modem PPP connection to our university server... lack of sleep will do that to you.... though I've heard LSD lets one bend spacetime too.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
            Sorry Alan, chalk that one off to wishful thinking . I haven't hallucinated since I did a 72+ hour marathon on Nettrek back in 1994 via telnet over a 56k modem PPP connection to our university server... lack of sleep will do that to you.... though I've heard LSD lets one bend spacetime too.
            No, it just makes it swirlier.

Comment

Radeon is a "real driver" right now, Nouveau is waiting mostly on power management

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Until there are video drivers it's pie in the sky.

(And I'm talking real video drivers.)
              OK, my AMD HD6750 does not support OpenGL versions above 3.3, most of which Radeon has now. Right now I've got excellent GPU power management, usable with the UVD block running for VDPAU video. That card would play 1080P video with this driver on any dual core, possibly a single-core if I had one with a PCI-e slot.

With the exact same card on Catalyst a year ago,, Scorched 3d never showed more than 106FPS at 1080p with AA maxed out on the lightest screens. The maximum Scorched3d framerate now with the open Radeon driver, again at 1080p, again with AA maxed out, again with full power management, is about 86 FPS. The monitor is 60FPS, so that's more than I can display.

Don't have much OpenCL support yet, but few Linux applications I've seen support it either. Blender does not, and MLT bypassed it using shader languange directly. That's coming in Kdenlive soon, is in Shotcut now. OpenCL support is a Mesa issue, not a Radeon issue, and it is growing as we speak. Within a year or so the RadeonSI driver for the newer cards should catch up, for both 7000 and 8000 series cards.

All that leaves is Crossfire, which few native Linux applications can ever make use of. The current "Reverse Optimus" work may lead to Crossfire on Radeon down the road-or AMD might decide to do a crossfire code dump so they can deprecate their closed Catalyst driver and be done with it.

As for Intel, their open driver is considered second only to the closed NVIDIA driver for quality, but runs on smaller, less capable hardware than Radeon or NVIDIA. This leaves only Nvidia cards as having a driver issue- and that gets fixed whenever someone manages to make power management work. If you lock the Radeon driver to a clock speed comparable to what a comparable Nvidia card boots at, you get comparable FPS in Scorched3d and in Critter. I've tested this myself banchmarking the Radeon HD6750 against the GTX450, with the AMD card locked to the "mid" profile on the old style power management. Might be slightly slower now, but Nouveau too has come a long way in a year-like from 11-18 to 33+FPS in Scorched3d on the GTX 450, while slowed down by lack
              of reclocking and running at a cool 40 C or so the rest of the time, little if any hotter under load.

By the time Wayland and Mir are supported directly by most applications, I suspect that proprietary drivers for AMD and Nvidia cards will both be a thing of the past as far as most users are concerned. Yes, if you are running four Titans that might be another story, but how many of us can afford that setup or its electrical consumption?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                By the time Wayland and Mir are supported directly by most applications, I suspect that proprietary drivers for AMD and Nvidia cards will both be a thing of the past as far as most users are concerned.
                I love you guys, but sometimes I wonder what world you live in.

Comment

I only disagree with him in that nVidia will never support an OSS driver and they will cling onto their proprietary driver for as long as they possibly can. Otherwise I agree with him completely.

If you have any AMD card or APU that is supported by r600g or any Intel APU right now you get damn good support. That's not a dream world. It's a fact. If you want well supported hardware on linux, then you have to buy well supported hardware.
                  Last edited by duby229; 12 August 2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

In the world in which Red Hat tells their customers that they will go to Wayland in the future (my guess, RHEL 8 will have it as default) and the Red Hat customers with their expensive workstation cards ask Nvidia/AMD for drivers, which will simply deliver what their customers need. Once there are Wayland drivers you will get Mir driver automatically.

Comment

What world do I livce in?

One in which I have directly verified the claims I made concerning the current performance of the
                      Radeon driver on my own system, and enjoyed the fruits of those two huge code dumps by AMD.
                      Some say AMD's sudden interest in the open driver implies an effort to emulate Intel's strategy
                      of closed driver for Windoze, separate open driver for Linux. When RadeonSI gets as good as
                      R600g, I would not want to be an Nvidia salesman...

Comment

Working...
                      X