Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRI3 Async Display Flipping For Linux, VBlank Syncing

Phoronix: DRI3 Async Display Flipping For Linux, VBlank Syncing

While Mir and Wayland are the future of Linux desktop display serving, X11 isn't going to magically disappear in the near-term. X.Org Server releases will keep coming for maintaining support for existing X11 clients, other alternative operating systems and environments where Wayland/Mir don't work, etc. With the X.Org Server still having a future, Keith Packard has been working on some improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The beauty of Wayland...

...is that X development can go unhindered, while Wayland and/or Weston continue to be developed and perfected. The time of the Linux desktop is now, and (X)Wayland is the bridge to that future. The X folk and Mr Hogsberg played their card at the perfect time. Long live Wayland, X and XWayland!

Comment

"While Mir and Wayland are the future of Linux desktop display"

really i only see Wayland as the future of Linux desktop display server, i see Mir as the Ubuntu only thing Long Live Xserver

now its starting to look like to me that Xorg will start moving into wayland little by little

Comment

Wayland is the future.

Mir is fragmentation and is 10 steps backwards for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
          Wayland is the future.

Mir is fragmentation and is 10 steps backwards for Linux.
          synaptix , can u enable PM's on the forum? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
            synaptix , can u enable PM's on the forum? Thanks.
            Alright, done.

Comment

With DRI3, which parts of X.org can be thrown out?
              DRI2?
              Is DRI(1) thrown out yet?

Any other part that can be thrown out?

I hope they put X.org on a diet, and really cut it down and trim it down and make it light and make it maintainable. But its hard with so much legacy and backwards compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                With DRI3, which parts of X.org can be thrown out?
                DRI2?
                Is DRI(1) thrown out yet?

Any other part that can be thrown out?

I hope they put X.org on a diet, and really cut it down and trim it down and make it light and make it maintainable. But its hard with so much legacy and backwards compatibility.
                DRI2 can definitely be dropped, eventually...DRI1 can too if it hasn't already. The tricky part is that you need an X server that supports DRI3+Present, and a Mesa that uses those. With both projects on different release schedules, the version dependencies can be a bit of a hassle. DRI2 will probably live for a while, until DRI3 becomes commonly available. Then it can go.
                Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  "While Mir and Wayland are the future of Linux desktop display"

really i only see Wayland as the future of Linux desktop display server, i see Mir as the Ubuntu only thing Long Live Xserver

now its starting to look like to me that Xorg will start moving into wayland little by little
                  The moment Wayland was announced and was backed Xorg decided to start moving little by little into the Wayland architecture (Within the limits of the X protocol) just to make sure applications and toolkits and drivers knew what to expect
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    i see Mir as the Ubuntu only thing
                    It's still a Linux flavor.

Comment

Working...
                    X