The State Of Killing CONFIG_VT, Moving To User-Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    Maybe I got that wrong and confused VTs with TTYs.
    @Ericg: Busybox uses mdev, it also has its own init implementation, but I usually don't use that, since I don't have a need for runlevels and stuff, I use a custom script (running in ash, which also comes with Busybox) for initializing all of the system I need and do the tasks I need to do.
    If this is still working without having to add unnecessary complexity with this new approach, then I got this wrong and apologize. If this is not anymore possible it would be a shame.
    Whats busybox gonna do when udev is moved back in kernel? Seems like that would conflict with mdev at that point...
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Whats busybox gonna do when udev is moved back in kernel? Seems like that would conflict with mdev at that point...
      How could udev possibly be moved "back" in to the kernel? It's userspace daemon with various dependencies like glibc and kmod. If someone were to fork systemd-udev it would really make no difference. systemd based distributions would still use systemd-udev, Android would still use their implementation and nothing would change for mdev ...and who exactly is supposed to maintain this alleged udev fork? It seems all major udev developers very a-ok with the systemd merge.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
        How could udev possibly be moved "back" in to the kernel? It's userspace daemon with various dependencies like glibc and kmod. If someone were to fork systemd-udev it would really make no difference. systemd based distributions would still use systemd-udev, Android would still use their implementation and nothing would change for mdev ...and who exactly is supposed to maintain this alleged udev fork? It seems all major udev developers very a-ok with the systemd merge.
        back is bad wording on my part, but the topic of in-kernel udev came up back when the topic of in-kernel dbus came up. I don't know what ever came from that discussion (it was a dev who brought it up), I'm trying to track it down now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          back is bad wording on my part, but the topic of in-kernel udev came up back when the topic of in-kernel dbus came up. I don't know what ever came from that discussion (it was a dev who brought it up), I'm trying to track it down now.
          I do remember that conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I do remember that conversation.
            Okay at least I know I'm not going crazy XD

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
              eudev is still in good shape, the last commits only happened several days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                The more I think about this, the more stupid it sounds.
                Aye! Its a an answer in search of a question that was never asked. But knowing Red Hat you will see in Fedora soon.

Comment

Working...
                X