No announcement yet.

The X.Org Foundation Is Undecided About Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you don't need a good DE to do 3d rendering. you can do that with a lousy bane-bones window manager like twm.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
      you don't need a good DE to do 3d rendering. you can do that with a lousy bane-bones window manager like twm.
      Yeah but I'm wondering if they intend to use X.org for the next 5 million years.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
        Why else would Canonical need to remodel a display server.
        That's what we are all asking ourselves

Comment

NIH syndrome, control, marketing, brand differentiation, hubris.

Comment

Originally posted by milesmeloro View Post
            I don't know... Could you give us a hint? I'm itching to read your insight on this matter.
            1) Lack of good input subsystem (befor you say, but Wayland DO have... It's NOW. Canonical decided BACK THEN. Everybody is wise after the fact.. )
            2) Putting shell into Wayland protocol. Where toolkits will support it. And where Canonical would need to rewrite it.
            3) Lack of interest in Android drivers, AMD/Nvidia binary drivers.
            4) All the advantages of creating something in house..
            5) Wayland being not ready.

Reasons where there. What I do not understand are people who ASSUME, that Canonical do something out of pure evilness, or selfishness. Or that they should work on project X, because they MUST.

Mir is FLOSS. Whatever they create Wayland can mimic it...

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
              It would be a shame if the open source community take the instance to boycott an open source protect.
              Not every Open Source project is good.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                i piratebayed solaris 11 couple of days ago, it's definitively more reliable and sane than RHEL. and let's face the facts, even if the GUIs are rubbish on Unixes like Solaris, it really doesn't matter. They are exclusively used on servers with basically zero desktop marketshare.
                Except they have basically zero server market share as well. Btw. what do you mean by more reliable and sane? Last time I checked and it's a mess compared to Linux. It's slow, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  You don't have to Pirate Bay it since you can just download it from Oracle's website.

I figured some people were still using Sun boxes for rendering or 3D modeling crap or whatever. NVIDIA must be making a Solaris driver for somebody out there.
                  They do till its supports ends and they will switch to Linux after that. Nobody sane will pay for such legacy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                    4) All the advantages of creating something in house..
                    Hehehe,

There are no advantages to canonical creating something in house.
                    All the software they create is bloated crap, just look at Unity or their SW centre. They are both slow and horrible even on a modern machine.

In addition to this they don't upstream any changes they make to core stuff.
                    The only upstreaming that has been done is by the community and once they piss them off enough they jump ship too.

Fedora looks better and better each day canonical are sailing in this current direction of pissing everyone off.

Comment

From the conversation logs on the #wayland channel, I get the impression that the Mir dev's just did not understand how Wayland works. I'm sure that if they would have approached the Wayland devs and stated their concerns, they would have worked it out together.

To me it just seems illogical for Canonical to waste their time (and money) on Mir, when they could have worked out a solution together with the Wayland devs...

... but they did not even attempt to get in contact with them until recently.

Comment

Working...
                      X