Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org: "2013 Will Be The Year Of Mobile Wayland"

Phoronix: X.Org: "2013 Will Be The Year Of Mobile Wayland"

The 2013 State of X.Org Report has been issued by Bart Massey on the behalf of the X.Org Foundation. There isn't too much new information out of this brief report, but they may be doing less X.Org "katamari" releases or abandon this process all together. The annual report also expresses a belief that 2013 may be the year of "Mobile Wayland."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Sadly, the foundation is still truly an organizational mess with little positive action beyond sponsoring of students through the Endless Vacation of Code and organizing the annual developers conference."

This sort of thing gets tiresome. What other positive action does the organization we need? We went through the long process of becoming a 501(c)3, every year we sponsor and organize a conference, and we fund student travel and EVoC projects. That doesn't seem like a mess to me...

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      "Sadly, the foundation is still truly an organizational mess with little positive action beyond sponsoring of students through the Endless Vacation of Code and organizing the annual developers conference."

This sort of thing gets tiresome. What other positive action does the organization we need? We went through the long process of becoming a 501(c)3, every year we sponsor and organize a conference, and we fund student travel and EVoC projects. That doesn't seem like a mess to me...
      Become a paid sponsor of Phoronix, and i bet you can get Michael to quit calling you a mess.

Comment

Michael revert your sponsoring bear unless on onext Xorg meeting there will be contest for new logo, and bring Phoronix readers logo proposals with you.

Matter will be decided in mere minutes :P

Comment

For one thing I would welcome better audio/video coverage of those conferences. Maybe online courses. Maybe bigger activity in software that sit ontop of X. And my favourite: geting graphics that do not hurt eyes for website. Working toward becoming umbrella foundation. Becoming member of Khronos, and getting people into Khronos strandard creating process (companies that back X fundation can send their employies, "community" not so much). Getting more univerities involved in OpenGL/OpenCL developments. MESA is perfect playground for testing exciting new ideas that should sit in driver/api layer (now you only invite students for developing).

Though video from conferences is probably most pressing.
          Last edited by przemoli; 22 February 2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Amen!

Awesome news and hope! The X, Wayland team (Intel et al) have reinvented themselves! Linux + Wayland (as well as X on Wayland for the interim) are going to take over the world's desktops/laptops!

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              For one thing I would welcome better audio/video coverage of those conferences. Maybe online courses. Maybe bigger activity in software that sit ontop of X. And my favourite: geting graphics that do not hurt eyes for website. Working toward becoming umbrella foundation. Becoming member of Khronos, and getting people into Khronos strandard creating process (companies that back X fundation can send their employies, "community" not so much). Getting more univerities involved in OpenGL/OpenCL developments. MESA is perfect playground for testing exciting new ideas that should sit in driver/api layer (now you only invite students for developing).

Though video from conferences is probably most pressing.
              Most useful things for X.org (except the core software development) as a non profit ever!

Comment

If anyone would like to get involved, the nominations for the Xorg elections are going on now:

Comment

It's that organizationally speaking, especially now as a 501(c)3 and needing more accountability, it's a mess.

From points within the report (in no particular order):

- The EVoC project has been around for years but there's been virtually no promotion of it and the first EVoC projects not even until last year (or end of Q4'11).
                  - Not even apart of GSoC last year due to "lack of quality of the student-facing ideas page."
                  - The book sprints are floated around and talked about, but have yielded very little.
                  - No new recurring sponsors / funding sources yet, even though it's been talked about for quite some time at board meetings.
                  - The logo has been talked about on and off for years but not acted upon even when there was a chance posed after Toulouse and there were going to be some "rules made for a competition."

And then yes, that this is the first annual report in a while because the secretary 'forgets'. And from the perspective of 'organize a conference', with XDC2011 when organizing that it seemed like a waiting game most of the time for the board to approve/decide on different things... Followed by the foundation/treasurer forgetting to make venue/catering payment timely, with belated payments for the different sponsored things seeming to be not be an isolated incident.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

None of that is because the Foundation is dysfunctional. It's because of exactly the same thing as the X server release problems: who's actually still working on X, day-to-day? Count them; look at the activity on the mailing list. We can't even get a stable set of developers together to keep the X server going day-to-day, so who's going to write and teach the courses, mentor the students, and so on?

XFree86 had exactly the same problem, and that was resolved by a massive influx of new developers after the fork. To within a small margin of error, all those developers have now burnt out, moved to different projects, grown up and got day jobs and drastically reduced their non-work open source contributions, and so on. (And yes, I'm part of the problem for all of the above.)

Comment

Working...
                    X