Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    I was thinking something very much the same... "This guy must like hot iron pokers"

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Well, I ... setup systemd, NetworkManager, PulseAudio, system-config-printer,
    It's like you like to be punished.. :P

Leave a comment:

• Hamish Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    Couldn't it even be said that Linux is Red Hat OS? I mean, they've contributed more than anybody else, to more places than anybody else, longer than anybody else, more consistently than anybody else.
    Well, I recently switched to Arch and setup systemd, NetworkManager, PulseAudio, system-config-printer, as well as numerous other projects Red Hat has touched or otherwise been directly involved in. So one definitely does not need to run a Red Hat distribution to feel their effect on our ecosystem.

I wish Arch packaged more of the SystemConfig suite though:
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 15 February 2013, 04:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    hah I'm not sure if he's ever been to MA but I'm sure he isn't going to like our winter months. At least he will have arrived after a pretty annoying blizzard.

Anyways lets hope RH won't put restrictions on him like TI did, linux needs devs like this guy.
    I doubt that RH will place additional restrictions on what projects Rob will/won't be allowed to work on. The nasty thing is that the NDAs that Rob signed at TI will still mostly likely be in effect, so he still won't be able to work on PowerVR hardware drivers, at least for chips/models that he viewed documentation on. I would expect that Rob will continue working on mobile graphics driver engineering, and if he ever feels so inclined maybe he'll check out the desktop world... but that's all just a guess.

Very off-topic:
    if Boston (also: Cambridge, Somerville, Belmont I'm looking at you) ever learned how to handle proper snow removal in the winters, traffic after snowstorms would be much better. I'm not speaking about the storm that just came through, just in general. I lived in Somerville for a couple winters, Belmont a few more, and worked in Cambridge the whole time. In all cases, by the end of winter the residential streets were almost impassable.... Introduce some proper even/odd parking restrictions so that the plows can actually get to every part of each street, and things would've been much better.

I say this having grown up in Wisconsin and lived in the Boston area for about 4 years while getting my master's. Every time I called my parents their weather was consistently 5-10 degrees (F) colder, and any time of rain/snow generally showed up in both places about 1.5-2 days apart. The big difference being that Boston had a higher chance of the snow turning into rain in the winter.... which still isn't pleasant.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    hah I'm not sure if he's ever been to MA but I'm sure he isn't going to like our winter months. At least he will have arrived after a pretty annoying blizzard.

Anyways lets hope RH won't put restrictions on him like TI did, linux needs devs like this guy.

Leave a comment:

• halfmanhalfamazing
    replied
    And that's why I use Fedora. RH contributes upstream to all sorts of OSS, particularly the important ones like this.

Couldn't it even be said that Linux is Red Hat OS? I mean, they've contributed more than anybody else, to more places than anybody else, longer than anybody else, more consistently than anybody else.
    Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 15 February 2013, 09:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Red Hat Picks Up Another Graphics Driver Developer

Red Hat Picks Up Another Graphics Driver Developer

Phoronix: Red Hat Picks Up Another Graphics Driver Developer

Red Hat has hired another well known name from the open-source Linux graphics driver community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X