Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Then see whats left.
    There'd hardly be any X left, so... W-light Server?

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
      There'd hardly be any X left, so... W-light Server?
      Then so be it.
      Just strip out everything that can be stripped out, and if all GTK and Qt applications still work, and almost nothing of X is left, then that is just good, right?

Then the codebase will be smaller, it will be easier to maintain, quicker to compile, easier to fix bugs, and everything will be great.

Comment

Once Wayland is accepted and is good working order, I agree a X11 lite would be nice. But instead of lite, you could call it X11 Legacy server. Basically stripped down to a really easy to support portion of X11 for applications and drivers from the last few years(aka no older drivers or applcations), for use ONLY in wayland as a server. That way people can have thier X11 for things that just won't be ported EVER, but its not has hard to maintain over time. X11 development could be entirely dropped except for yearly updates once X11 legacy server was in working order.

Of coarse, this means there would be 3 servers be maintained, so I have no idea if this would ACTUALLY save people effort, but its a pretty idea.

Comment

Then so be it.
          Just strip out everything that can be stripped out, and if all GTK and Qt applications still work, and almost nothing of X is left, then that is just good, right?

Then the codebase will be smaller, it will be easier to maintain, quicker to compile, easier to fix bugs, and everything will be great.
          As I understand it Xorg had when it was as biggest almost a million lines code, if I remember phoronix article right wayland has around ten thousands line ( in the middle of 2012).
          Xorg light need to be very light if it should get that small. How big is the refactoring work that is needed to do something like that?

By the way, its look like Arch linux has wayland in their regular package repositories now.
          Last edited by Akka; 11 February 2013, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Then so be it.

There are applications like rxvt-unicode, which don't use GTK or Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Once Wayland is accepted and is good working order, I agree a X11 lite would be nice. But instead of lite, you could call it X11 Legacy server. Basically stripped down to a really easy to support portion of X11 for applications and drivers from the last few years(aka no older drivers or applcations), for use ONLY in wayland as a server. That way people can have thier X11 for things that just won't be ported EVER, but its not has hard to maintain over time. X11 development could be entirely dropped except for yearly updates once X11 legacy server was in working order.

Of coarse, this means there would be 3 servers be maintained, so I have no idea if this would ACTUALLY save people effort, but its a pretty idea.
              But Solaris and BSD use X.org Server too.
              So even without Wayland, we should still trim down X.org Server and rip away all stuff we don't need.

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
              There are applications like rxvt-unicode, which don't use GTK or Qt.
              Yes, and those applications should still work too.
              But there are lots of other cruft that we don't need to support, such as glyphs and drawing operations.

Comment

I think the biggest weakness regarding Linux display services is the fact that proprietary video drivers are almost an afterthought. It seems that Wayland is going to continue the tradition, though I guess most of it is license related so there's not much that can be done anyway.

But Android pulled it off pretty well.

And maybe this is what Canonical is focusing on with their own implementation (should it come about), because they know they'll finally have to get real with video drivers if they want to enter the phone market.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I think the biggest weakness regarding Linux display services is the fact that proprietary video drivers are almost an afterthought. It seems that Wayland is going to continue the tradition, though I guess most of it is license related so there's not much that can be done anyway.

But Android pulled it off pretty well.

And maybe this is what Canonical is focusing on with their own implementation (should it come about), because they know they'll finally have to get real with video drivers if they want to enter the phone market.
                  Yes and no. DRI3 is working on allowing multiple OpenGL implementations to be installed at once so you could have both Radeon and Catalyst installed at once and switch between them with a reboot. There's nothing in Wayland that says "No closed source drivers!" All wayland does is stake pointers and buffers and displays their contents. Anything BEFORE the buffer, such as how that buffer got filled or who wrote to it, is a client problem with the one exception that Wayland will not allow programs to write to (or read?) eachother's buffers. If you need to share buffers you need to do shared memory or ideally, DMA-BUF
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                    As I understand it Xorg had when it was as biggest almost a million lines code, if I remember phoronix article right wayland has around ten thousands line ( in the middle of 2012).
                    Xorg light need to be very light if it should get that small. How big is the refactoring work that is needed to do something like that?

By the way, its look like Arch linux has wayland in their regular package repositories now.

There about, Daniel's video on Xorg -> Wayland quoted 900k though he said at one time he could've sworn that he saw 1.2Million. A lot of that was because in order to be platform-agnostic X had to do a lot of things that are now handled by other programs. For example, once upon a time Xorg had an entire printer server & stack built in because at the time none of the unix's had a standarized way to do printing, now we have CUPS and Samba but at the time it was needed. (Yes that got removed awhile back, Daniel said it was the largest, single, code purge in X's history lol)
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Yes, and those applications should still work too.
                      But there are lots of other cruft that we don't need to support, such as glyphs and drawing operations.
                      Text rendering shouldn't be removed as it is accelerated by graphics card.
                      rxvt-unicode won't work without XDraw* functions.

Comment

Working...
                      X