Programming Languages For X Applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    He's referring to your comment about how some "McDonald's" languages aren't good for security because they're easy to decompile and hard to obfuscate. His point was that open source software does not make it hard for you to decompile it, since you have the actual source code; no need to decompile it. For the same reason, hard to obfuscate isn't an issue for open software, because obfuscating it makes no sense.
    mmm i didn't interpreted that way but since english is not my main language i can be wrong hence if this is what he meant then my bad and sorry for not reading properly your post.

in the case of decompile/obfuscation i meant more to the security implications of IR/VM level code injection than code availability compared to a full compiled binary that need to be replaced entirely[especially if you md5 check your binary at start or have security systems like selinux or apparmor]. Ofc there are many hack techniques, just saying with this languages is bit easier to execute malicious code at runtime

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      He's referring to your comment about how some "McDonald's" languages aren't good for security because they're easy to decompile and hard to obfuscate. His point was that open source software does not make it hard for you to decompile it, since you have the actual source code; no need to decompile it. For the same reason, hard to obfuscate isn't an issue for open software, because obfuscating it makes no sense.
      Thank you, that is exactly what I tried to say :-) (And I obviously meant 'threat' not 'thread', maybe that caused the confusion ;-))

Comment

with the EFL, writing a GUI is mainly writing a text file which describes the UI. This text file is using a specific syntax (though it's simple enough). It is then compiled (consider it as the theme file of the app) with a library named Edje. Interaction is done in C (the program sends events and the theme reacts. Converly, the theme can send events and the program reacts).

Btw, if it's close to QML's design, it's because QML was inspired by what Edje does (Edje exists a lot before QML).

Comment

I think his point would have made a lot more sense as stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
            well, I didn't saw the videos but...everyone who writes a GUI based program in C or C++ should be thrown into a desert, far away from any technology so that he can't do any further damage to humanity.
            In C, probably. C is really meant for those low level activities where you want almost total control of the app at all times (drivers, etc). Really hard to justify using C for things at a much higher level then device drivers and simple batch programs...

C++ has enough toolkits to make creating a GUI a simple matter though. I hate some of the methodology though.

On Windows though, C# makes creating a GUI more or less trivial. I use C# whenever I have a non-performance intensive program, simply due to ease of programming.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
              On *nix machines there has never been any central authority dictating user space components, the kernel developers have nothing to do with what goes on in the user space, particularly the desktop. But it's not as if say Microsoft is much better, on Windows you have the classic Windows API, MFC (basically C++ wrapper for WAPI), Windows Forms, WPF, (am I missing some more?) and these are all from the same company. Then there is also Qt and Gtk available for Windows from third parties.
              Plenty more you forgot. MFC was actually good when it first came out, but the entire C++ framework is just getting aged at this point (see my previous comment). Newer languages are just so much more simpler to write GUI based programs in...

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                Well to use your analogy, not every doctor needs to know how to do surgery.
                Actually, every doctor does need to know how to do (basic) surgery before they are allowed to become MDs. Of course surgeries are preferably performed by experienced surgeons, but there are always possible emergencies, etc.

Nurses stationed in remote locations (e.g. in the tropics, in a rain forest) also often get/got basic surgical training.

The same is true for captains & high-up officers on merchant (and probably also military?) ships BTW (no way to fly in a doctor on time if somebody gets an acute appendicitis in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, so somebody else has to perform the surgery there...).

Comment

Working...
                X