Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.13 Released With Massive Changes

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.13 Released With Massive Changes

After being in development for the past half-year, and at a time when much of the ongoing Linux desktop activity for the display server/stack is being focused on Wayland, X.Org Server 1.13 was released this evening. For a change, X.Org Server 1.13 does actually pack a number of promising new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You wrote "The only common driver not yet supporting this new xorg-server release is X.Org Server 1.13."

I doubt this is what you meant to write, and past experience suggests you meant the AMD Catalyst drivers.

Comment

i imagine that debian 7.0 will be the city upon a hill for all x11 unix neckbeards who don't want wayland "crammed down their throats"

Comment

Too bad

Too bad AMD are slow in bringing up their driver for latest X.org
        Too bad X.org still cant run without superuser root privileges on Linux
        Too bad Xwayland wasn't merged yet

Great to see consistent coding style and old legacy code removed.

What's coming in next X.org server release after this?
        More legacy code to get removed?

Comment

Yes I thought the whole point of KMS was so X11 could run root-less.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonzest View Post
            Yes I thought the whole point of KMS was so X11 could run root-less.
            X isn't running as root because of graphics, but because of input handling.

Comment

Ubuntu 12.10 is using Xserver 1.13 so AMD Catalyst will support it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke
                "Mother of god" i thought. Here it comes.
                Here it comes masking kernel and xorg server with catalyst 12.6 legacy and still lack of usable power management on opensource drivers. But who need this when i have 5 fps gain in last year, right? yea ..

Comment

Wayland again ??? Seems Phoronix love it i dont see any advantages at the moment for this eyecandy

Comment

Originally posted by Gentoo View Post
                    Wayland again ??? Seems Phoronix love it i dont see any advantages at the moment for this eyecandy
                    Someone said tear-free video is not possible with X, but that it is possible with Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X