No announcement yet.

NVIDIA To Meet With X.Org Developers Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No beer should be given to them unless they provide evidence that they work on Wayland

Comment

good news...

Maybe NVidia will see the light of day at this X.org summit and provide an OSS implementation of their drivers for the Linux community.

Let's face it, the world needs their gazillion rectangles per second fill rate on their $500 GPUs.... the rest of us can get by on embedded Intel HD GPUs for our non-gaming work, on our X/Wayland laptops/desktops....

Comment

Don't hope for too much

I find it very unlikely that Nvidia is going to support any open source efforts.

I think the guy is just there to listen.
        If he holds a talk, it will be some bullshit about how Nvidia is committed and provides real world business solutions. He will just recite a press release.

Nvidia doesn't give a shit about open source. They cant even send out a graphics card to open source device driver developers.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I find it very unlikely that Nvidia is going to support any open source efforts.

I think the guy is just there to listen.
          If he holds a talk, it will be some bullshit about how Nvidia is committed and provides real world business solutions. He will just recite a press release.

Nvidia doesn't give a shit about open source. They cant even send out a graphics card to open source device driver developers.
          I hope you're wrong, for your sake

Comment

It would be lovely if they offered official help to the bumblebee team but this is highly unlikely... Nvidia isn't going to do anything it doesn't have/want to do, unless a large developer/company starts requesting it (think 3d for Quadro GPU 'only'). I guarantee that Nvidia and AMD will step up their Proprietary Linux driver support to Windows levels for Valve when then deliver a large volume of popular quality software to the Linux market. (Not to say Open Source doesn't have some gems)

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
              It would be lovely if they offered official help to the bumblebee team but this is highly unlikely... Nvidia isn't going to do anything it doesn't have/want to do, unless a large developer/company starts requesting it (think 3d for Quadro GPU 'only'). I guarantee that Nvidia and AMD will step up their Proprietary Linux driver support to Windows levels for Valve when then deliver a large volume of popular quality software to the Linux market. (Not to say Open Source doesn't have some gems)
              I don't think they're going to help Bumblebee as I assume they're just going to implement their own Optimus stuff once the kernel and X.Org plumbing is finalized. But I definitely think we'll start seeing some more features for gaming.

Comment

The only reason he is coming to the party is 'cause the upper management instructed him to coax away some nouveau developers for their Tegra soup.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                  Actually, Aaron Plattner from nVidia was at XDC 2009 in Portland.
                  And 2008 in Mountain View, along with Andy Ritger.

Comment

I don't get the story. NVidia is a regular Xorg contributor, just not Xorg's drivers. Apple contributes to Xorg as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X