No announcement yet.

PRIME DRI2 Offloading Pulled Into X.Org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least some pcie must support hotplug, else how do you explain thunderbolt? (pci-e via a different cable, hotpluggable)

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      At least some pcie must support hotplug, else how do you explain thunderbolt? (pci-e via a different cable, hotpluggable)
      My guess is that thunderbolt employs a dummy device. When you attach something, the dummy device just appears to move from a low power state to an active state.

Comment

from http://electronicdesign.com/products...ra-of-ras35149 :
        PCI Express, since its inception, was designed to comprehend hot-plug functionality. As such, hot-plug registers are part of PCIe's capabilities, providing the operating system with a standard hot-plug hardware register interface accessible through configuration access on the PCIe bus. PCI Express also defines a standard usage model by defining the hot-plug capabilities required of hardware at a base architectural level. The native support for hot-plug control enables innovative server module form factors to be inserted or removed under power without requiring that the chassis be opened.

In a PCIe-based server system, hot-plug slots may be sourced either from the chipset or the downstream ports of a switch. As PCIe is a point-to-point bus, switches are usually required for slot expansion and creation because of the limited number of ports of the root complex. These switches appear to the software as PCI-to-PCI bridges, and each port implementing a slot that is hot-plug capable will contain its own set of hot-plug registers in the bridge configuration space. These registers report the presence or absence of defined hot-plug mechanisms to software. They contain control for power as well as indicators on the slot, along with notification of card insertion/removal, latch open/close and of the attention button press. The software is notified by sending an interrupt upstream to the root complex. The notification option is implementation-dependant.
        From this I deduce that PCIe hotplugging is possible.
        However, when dealing with switchable graphics, for which I think that VGA_Switcheroo is enough. Riht now I don't see a model when a GPU would be hotplugged.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
          from http://electronicdesign.com/products...ra-of-ras35149 : From this I deduce that PCIe hotplugging is possible.
          However, when dealing with switchable graphics, for which I think that VGA_Switcheroo is enough. Riht now I don't see a model when a GPU would be hotplugged.

And that's what I get for referencing wikipedia.
          Thanks for the reference, and I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
          X