Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org 7.8 Will Not Come For A While

Phoronix: X.Org 7.8 Will Not Come For A While

X.Org 7.7 was released last week and following the katamari's debut there was a brief discussion about plans for X.Org 7.8. While it was quick to be discussed, don't expect X.Org 7.8 to come until late 2013...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

By the time this comes we might not need it anymore. At least the desktop crowd.

Comment

Why do we need X.Org releases anymore?

Do people really use more than xorg-server these days?

Comment

As mentioned in the article, it's both good PR and a checked set that's guaranteed to work together.

Comment

xwayland

I hope Xwayland gets merged!

Too bad, its so long time until next katamari.
          12 months would maybe be alright, more than that gets too long.

Comment

Wasn't there some work left for XKB?
            If it is I would really wanted to see this done!

Since it's kinda critical to using a lot of desktops and other computers.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
              Do people really use more than xorg-server these days?
              A server without clients is fairly useless, so pretty much everyone uses at least some of the client libraries (libX11, libXext, libxcb, etc.).

An X server with no devices is also not that interesting, so many people find installing at least a couple driver modules for input & video devices is worthwhile.

And then people like to read docs, have some fonts to view in their applications, etc. so a few more modules often come on board.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                Wasn't there some work left for XKB?
                If it is I would really wanted to see this done!

Since it's kinda critical to using a lot of desktops and other computers.
                most xkb development is happening in libxkbcommon rather than x itself. unfortunately the xkb spec is way too prescriptive to be able to usefully extend it, except for high keycodes which i guess are planned at some stage.

Comment

Working...
                X