Moving window between two Xserver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by movieman View Post
    There are at least a couple of X11 proxies which effectively allow that by proxying local X11 requests to any remote server, but I don't remember the names. Xpra, maybe?

Wayland, of course, doesn't even think that being able to display on a remote device is at all important.

As far as I can tell, Wayland, the protocol doesn't support remote network abilities. Weston, which IMPLANTS the Wayland protocol, will allow a facility for remote applications, and apps to be fowarded, but it won't be done throught the Wayland protocol itself.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
      As far as I can tell, Wayland, the protocol doesn't support remote network abilities. Weston, which IMPLANTS the Wayland protocol, will allow a facility for remote applications, and apps to be fowarded, but it won't be done throught the Wayland protocol itself.
      My understanding is that Wayland doesn't care where the pixels go. This is the source of misunderstandings.

Comment

Doing this properly requires the feature I talked about yesterday: the ability for the windowing system to tell the application that it's about to lose its graphics context and to recreate it. This would allow the windowing system to move the window behind the application's back, and the application would simply need to reacquire a graphics context handle and recreate any server-side resources. Windows apps have been doing this for years; it's not hard (though it can be annoying to have to deal with if you don't think about it from day one), and it lets the OS have a lot more flexibility in how it manages graphics contexts. X11 cannot do this; Wayland maybe can.

Comment

It exists for a long long time

Moving windows between x-servers is possible and has been for a long time. It is called x2x. Just google it.
          I'm not sure if most extensions work with this though. Probably not any of the video extensions, but maybe opengl does work. We have aiglx (accelated indirect glx ) for a few years now after all.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetualrabbit View Post
            Moving windows between x-servers is possible and has been for a long time. It is called x2x. Just google it.
            I'm not sure if most extensions work with this though. Probably not any of the video extensions, but maybe opengl does work. We have aiglx (accelated indirect glx ) for a few years now after all.
            From wikipedia:
            x2x allows the console (keyboard and mouse) on one X terminal to be used to control another X terminal. It also provides ancillary functions like clipboard sharing.
            This is nothing like window transfer. However, I am starting to doubt, what OP had truly in mind when asking the question. Maybe I am too infected with the concept I have seen in a film.

Comment

DMX did something like that, too (unified several X screens on different machines to one big screen).

Comment

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
                From wikipedia:

This is nothing like window transfer. However, I am starting to doubt, what OP had truly in mind when asking the question. Maybe I am too infected with the concept I have seen in a film.
                I currently have dual-display configuration and I want to extended it by several more displays, however the nvidia crap in my T510 won't allow having more than two displays so I thought about having the other displays connected to other computer interconnected by Ethernet.

I see how this idea is difficult to implement. Maybe the way could be sending window's data to both xservers having them both render the window (with 3D acceleration) (always, or just when the window is going through screen edge). Or maybe if there is a way to force graphic card to rendr image to created framebuffer that covers display area of both xservers, we can send just pixel data through network.. perhaps 10Gb/s ethernet or thunderbolt or just use 1Gb/s interface (which would cause slow refresh rate on one X).
                Last edited by Grawp; 19 April 2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grawp View Post
                  I currently have dual-display configuration and I want to extended it by several more displays, however the nvidia crap in my T510 won't allow having more than two displays so I thought about having the other displays connected to other computer interconnected by Ethernet.

I see how this idea is difficult to implement. Maybe the way could be sending window's data to both xservers having them both render the window (with 3D acceleration) (always, or just when the window is going through screen edge). Or maybe if there is a way to force graphic card to rendr image to created framebuffer that covers display area of both xservers, we can send just pixel data through network.. perhaps 10Gb/s ethernet or thunderbolt or just use 1Gb/s interface (which would cause slow refresh rate on one X).
                  An old rule kicks in, hehe. Don't ask how to do something you believe is the solution. Present the problem instead!
                  All I can do for you now is ask one more control question. Then I am out of my knowledge jurisdiction. Do you want to have the desktop plane extended on all displays? Good luck with that. I sign off.

Comment

Oh yeah I want the desktop plane extended on all displays.

I'll try to reformulate the problem. Is it possible to add virtual display to Xorg? From this http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2#Summing_up I understand that there is already a virtual screen. I just really need to add there a virtual display so I can sample it by xwd.

Comment

I've just found xserver-xorg-video-dummy driver. I guess by description that it's what I've been looking for. I'll make a multimonitor network setup with x11vnc and I may post some results here.

Comment

Working...
                      X