KDrive, Xnest, Xvfb Called For Removal From X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    But if it never hits, it doesn't matter right?

Only to those who want to use it, of course.
    I didn't say that that functionality should be lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadako View Post
      And before someone mentions "removing 30,000 lines of code" as a good enough reason, I wonder how much of that code actually affects the Xorg server itself?
      Well, it does increase the size of source tarballs/git pulls, and unless there's a configure option to disable the stuff, it increases build time. That's good enough for me..

Comment

So wait, what's the better solution that supersedes Xephyr?
        I'm wondering this as well.

Comment

I think the general idea is "if it's broken and unmaintained, then we should chunk it" (as highlighted earlier), as well as, "if we chunk it, others (who need the functionality) will be more likely to create their own (possibly better) solution and maintain it"...or something along those lines.

Comment

Wow it really seems like there aren't many thinkers in this forum today.

The article did NOT say xephyr is being removed, xephyr is pretty much the successor and replacement of xnest. xephyr may be glitchy but its a hell of a lot better than xnest. As for the other 2, they're just simply not needed. I'd like to know 10 people who actively uses them and prefers them over their replacements.

As for people acting like cleaning up 30K lines of code for features that are blatantly obsolete is pointless, I can't even comprehend the irrationality of such a thought. That's like someone gives you a 2Lbs steak for you to eat and then they suddenly decide to remove the bone before giving it to you, which would then reduce the physical size and the weight to maybe 1.5Lbs. Oh no! What if I wanted to carry that extra volume and weight with me on my way home! Maybe I wanted to throw out that bone in my own trash! What a nerve!

Seriously, how is it NOT obvious why code needs to be cleaned up.

If I haven't made my point clear enough, I think removing these features is a great idea. In fact, I'm surprised there isn't more being removed.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              That's like someone gives you a 2Lbs steak for you to eat and then they suddenly decide to remove the bone before giving it to you, which would then reduce the physical size and the weight to maybe 1.5Lbs. Oh no! What if I wanted to carry that extra volume and weight with me on my way home! Maybe I wanted to throw out that bone in my own trash! What a nerve!
              What if I wanted to throw that bone in a stew, or give it to my dog? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                What if I wanted to throw that bone in a stew, or give it to my dog? Sorry, couldn't resist.
                You'd have to resort to a paid-for steak. The non-open kind

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                  lol touche

Comment

There has to be a better reason than "it removes 30,000 lines of code".
                    If those 30,000 lines aren't doing anything useful, then no, they don't need a better reason.

Comment

But if it never hits, it doesn't matter right?
                      Yes, it does - because someone needs to maintain it. Interfaces change, code no longer compiles - now someone has to go and fix the code that nobody cares about. Well, the cheapest "fix" is to delete it.

Comment

Working...
                      X