Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Impact Of Radeon DRM On Linux 3.3, DRM-Next

Phoronix: The Impact Of Radeon DRM On Linux 3.3, DRM-Next

Recently I showed off some Intel DRM benchmarks from the Linux 3.3 kernel along with what will be in the Linux 3.4 kernel via drm-next. These results indicated some performance improvements on the side of Intel Sandy Bridge hardware, but how do the new kernel and Linux 3.4 impact the discrete Radeon graphics? Here's some benchmarks covering that side of the graphics table.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, what about the mesa daily benchmarking you were willing do deploy? Is there any news?
    It seems we really need such a thing...
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Definitly not able to reproduce HD6950 regression you are seeing. F16 drm-next + mesa git from today (also tried with git ddx)

Comment

My HD7970 is currently getting 0 fps with the open source graphics stack, so I'd be happy to see performance numbers like Cayman's World of Padman -- that would be infinity times better than what I have now.

Also, it's very interesting that you think that "The results for Nexuiz are more interesting than Nexuiz". I would tend to agree; Nexuiz is not a very interesting game, but the performance results that you produced, using it, are very interesting indeed. I think you might have typoed this and meant to say something like "The results for Nexuiz are more interesting than Doom 3", but that would be eliding the very deep philosophical point you validly made about the level of intrigue associated with playing the game Nexuiz versus benchmarking it.

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
          Definitly not able to reproduce HD6950 regression you are seeing. F16 drm-next + mesa git from today (also tried with git ddx)
          Regarding Fedora 17, there seems to be a recent and rather severe regression for my Radeon HD 5670. even glxgears can only manage about 100 fps. I know that's not a benchmark per se, but damn...

Games are unplayable, kwin is barely even usable.

Do you know what the story is with that and when it might be resolved?

I checked it out using the Beta TC2 ISO.

Comment

First thought is that sounds like more than a performance regression. Maybe check the renderer string ?
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              First thought is that sounds like more than a performance regression. Maybe check the renderer string ?
              It was all correct. The data is available from OB but if the OpenGL renderer was wrong it would have been reported to the system table, etc.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Whoops, sorry... I was responding to DaemonFC, should have quoted for clarity. Sounded like he was seeing a much greater regression than you did.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                  [...]
                  I use Fedora 17 and a Radeon 3200 IGP. On the current kernel version 3.3.0-0.rc7.git2.3.fc17.x86_64 I don't have any issues with a performance regression. On a rc6 kernel I had much worse fps than ussually in a game, but I didn't test it much, because I avoided this rc6 kernel then. I had 1-2 fps when I used this kernel, and ussually I get around 15 fps with the free Radeon driver (game: regnum online).
                  It helps also to use a kernel without debugging options enabled. With this option enabled my system freezes sometimes. I have no idea if Beta TC2 already used the kernel version above or a older version with debugging enabled.

list of recent fedora kernels
                  Last edited by Fenrin; 19 March 2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

GL_RENDERER = Gallium 0.4 on AMD REDWOOD
                    GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 8.0.1
                    GL_VENDOR = X.Org

814 frames in 5.0 seconds = 162.771 FPS
                    783 frames in 5.0 seconds = 156.577 FPS
                    772 frames in 5.0 seconds = 154.280 FPS
                    717 frames in 5.0 seconds = 143.378 FPS
                    673 frames in 5.0 seconds = 134.488 FPS

----

From glxgears -info on the Fedora 17 KDE Beta TC2 disc.

Comment

Working...
                    X