• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic VMware's Linux 3D Guest Driver Is Ready

VMware's Linux 3D Guest Driver Is Ready

Phoronix: VMware's Linux 3D Guest Driver Is Ready

The xf86-video-vmware 12.0 driver was officially released yesterday, which now means all of the components needed for 3D Linux guest acceleration are now available and stable...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA2ODM

• allquixotic
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    No, it does not help.
    Confirmed here too. Bah, come on VMware

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    No, it does not help.

Leave a comment:

• allquixotic
    replied
    Originally posted by russofris View Post
    To those with the issue, does switching back to HW version 7 (in the vmx file of your guest) mitigate the issue?
    Have not tried. Will test next time I get access to my beast desktop (not for a couple of days unfortunately).

Leave a comment:

• russofris
    replied
    To those with the issue, does switching back to HW version 7 (in the vmx file of your guest) mitigate the issue?

Leave a comment:

• allquixotic
    replied
    Originally posted by russofris View Post
    While I cannot directly answer the question, I can state that the symptoms (audio stuttering, performance degradation under moderate IO) do not exist on the host. We've all tried a number of quick fixes to resolve the issue, including driver updates, bios changes (enable/disable VT-d), etc. The only clue that I can give is that high pci-latency exacerbates the issue (IO on the JMicron controller produces more audio stuttering than the onboard ICH9).

Reproduction is simple. Open a VM, open youtube, play a video that contains audio, kick off a file transfer on the host, Liss..ss...ss..ten to the audio.o..o.(pop).o.

F
    You hit the nail on the head. Nice description of the problem and test steps.

Leave a comment:

• russofris
    replied
    Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    Are you guys sure it's just the vm freezing? From my experience with Intel hardware the entire machine will freeze while doing intense I/O even without running any virtualization software.
    While I cannot directly answer the question, I can state that the symptoms (audio stuttering, performance degradation under moderate IO) do not exist on the host. We've all tried a number of quick fixes to resolve the issue, including driver updates, bios changes (enable/disable VT-d), etc. The only clue that I can give is that high pci-latency exacerbates the issue (IO on the JMicron controller produces more audio stuttering than the onboard ICH9).

Reproduction is simple. Open a VM, open youtube, play a video that contains audio, kick off a file transfer on the host, Liss..ss...ss..ten to the audio.o..o.(pop).o.

F

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    Are you guys sure it's just the vm freezing? From my experience with Intel hardware the entire machine will freeze while doing intense I/O even without running any virtualization software. The most obvious case is while unpacking a large archive in the background, like the linux kernel. Usually the audio does not skip, but all GUI applications become unresponsive until unpacking finishes. I'm getting this with a Core 2 Quad CPU and I noticed the same with the previous Core 2 Duo machine the company I work for provided.
    I don't see something like that. And I don't need intense I/O to see the problem in VMware either. All I need to do is enter "sync" in a terminal and the VM freezes. And it does it *every* time, even if "sync" completes in 0.2 seconds or such.

Leave a comment:

• Ansla
    replied
    Are you guys sure it's just the vm freezing? From my experience with Intel hardware the entire machine will freeze while doing intense I/O even without running any virtualization software. The most obvious case is while unpacking a large archive in the background, like the linux kernel. Usually the audio does not skip, but all GUI applications become unresponsive until unpacking finishes. I'm getting this with a Core 2 Quad CPU and I noticed the same with the previous Core 2 Duo machine the company I work for provided.

Leave a comment:

• allquixotic
    replied
    Hey, a fourth person on the VMware forums confirmed he is experiencing similar symptoms: http://communities.vmware.com/message/2005634#2005634

This isn't just us imagining it, folks. We need to make sure VMware knows about this and is taking steps to rectify it.

Thanks everyone for participating. I feel like we are making progress on the issue. It's up to VMware to fix it, but if they don't know about it, it'll never get fixed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X