Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPICE On KVM/QEMU Works Towards Gallium3D

Phoronix: SPICE On KVM/QEMU Works Towards Gallium3D

Red Hat's SPICE project that's used in KVM/QEMU virtualization environments is working towards better graphics support, which also includes work on a DRM driver and Gallium3D component for offering 3D acceleration support within guest virtual machines...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, does it means that the guest will make use of the host's bare metal GPU (i.e Nvidia) to render graphics even when the spice console is accessed from a thin client? I'm running a w7 guest with spice support hosted on Fedora15 and would love to improve the graphics performance but I'm not familiar with the spice or graphic's card internals

Comment

Originally posted by mrgrieves View Post
      So, does it means that the guest will make use of the host's bare metal GPU (i.e Nvidia) to render graphics even when the spice console is accessed from a thin client? I'm running a w7 guest with spice support hosted on Fedora15 and would love to improve the graphics performance but I'm not familiar with the spice or graphic's card internals
      It should be able to do the rendering on either side, but it defaults to server-side IIRC.
      Theres a pdf on the spice site which explains the architecture.

Comment

Article correction

Hi,

The article confuses two subjects I spoke about, Xspice and 3d support.

Xspice doesn't support usb, audio, cut&paste and multiple monitors.
        qemu with spice supports all of the above, they are not new.

The 3d support has nothing to do with Xspice. Actually it won't work for Xspice without extra work, "just" for virtual machines.

Thanks for the coverage,

Alon

Comment

Working...
        X