Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell Works Without GPU Driver Support

Phoronix: GNOME Shell Works Without GPU Driver Support

As reported on Thursday, GNOME Shell / Mutter no longer requirements OpenGL-accelerated hardware drivers. It's possible to run this GNOME3 desktop with a software back-end via Gallium3D's LLVMpipe...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe they can get around to reducing the CPU consumption of gnome-shell. On my machine it uses an inordinate amount of CPU even though I don't really use it (I have windows maximized on my two monitors and spend most time typing into them).

Comment

Isn't that surprising? g-shell doesn't have a single feature that needs 3d acceleration.
      It just a poisonous mixture of ideology of keeping up with what others do (aka we have to use composing) and with Gnome decease of feature removal, according to which best computer is that one that has just one button, to turn it off.

So using LLVMpipe to workaround that stupidity, is just stupid as well.
      Ether g-shell should use at least xrender, or it should actually utilize 3d features.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
        Isn't that surprising? g-shell doesn't have a single feature that needs 3d acceleration.
        It just a poisonous mixture of ideology of keeping up with what others do (aka we have to use composing) and with Gnome decease of feature removal, according to which best computer is that one that has just one button, to turn it off.

So using LLVMpipe to workaround that stupidity, is just stupid as well.
        Ether g-shell should use at least xrender, or it should actually utilize 3d features.
        Calling other people stupid while obviously not understanding anything is generally known as "trolling". First compositing has nothing to do with 3D rendering. Secondly XRender is not a replacement for OpenGL and last it does use quite a lot of "3D features" (note "3D features" does not mean "rotating cube").

Comment

fallback mode isn't meant to be a GNOME 2-by-stealth for Shell refuseniks, it's purely an attempt to accommodate hardware which doesn't support Shell.
          -.-

why not? it would make so many people happy :P Are they afraid nobody will use their great and awesome and user-friendly shell anymore once they make the 'fallback mode' a usable alternative?

Comment

As reported on Thursday, GNOME Shell / Mutter no longer requirements OpenGL-accelerated hardware drivers.
            Hit me if Im wrong, but isnt it "requires"?

Comment

Long live the fallback mode

As long as there are people who love the fallback mode there will be packages for it. Fallback mode will prevail. Take a look at mint, they are doing it right.

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
                Calling other people stupid while obviously not understanding anything is generally known as "trolling". First compositing has nothing to do with 3D rendering. Secondly XRender is not a replacement for OpenGL and last it does use quite a lot of "3D features" (note "3D features" does not mean "rotating cube").
                Nope. it just so happens that when person runs out of arguments (or has none to begin with) it accuses the other person of trolling.
                Note that unlike you I have never accused anybody here or elsewhere of trolling. I even say once on a while that I 'troll' because I know I will be labeled as such because of my opinions that I somewhat don't hide.
                Last edited by Maxim Levitsky; 06 November 2011, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
                  Nope. it just so happens that when person runs out of arguments (or has none to begin with) it accuses the other person of trolling.
                  So your are accusing other people (me included) as being stupid because of technical decision that you apparently (judging by your comment) do not understand? And then wonder why you are being named a troll?

As for arguments you ignored everything and focused on the troll one but anyway I am done here.

Comment

Just stop. It's very obvious to everybody with half a clue who is the one being blatantly ignorant here.

Being a idiot on the internet on purpose is being a troll.
                    Being a idiot because you have no clue what is going on or what you are talking about is just being a idiot.

Comment

Working...
                    X