Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linaro Introduces Buffer Sharing Mechanism

Phoronix: Linaro Introduces Buffer Sharing Mechanism

There's been a Linaro memory management working group for the past year to figure out memory management APIs and unify the memory management landscape for Linux graphics. One of the fruits of this work is now a DMA buffer sharing mechanism that was put out by Texas Instruments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there a chance this might be useful for multi-GPU setups?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Is there a chance this might be useful for multi-GPU setups?
      Yes, it is.

Comment

Whoop whoop whoop

Switcheroo doesn't work with my new laptop, I'm impatiently waiting to see the r600g improvements on my 6630M

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Yes, it is.
          Would I be correct in assuming that the buffer sharing between drivers could also be useful for run-time switching between an integrated GPU and a discrete GPU?

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
            Would I be correct in assuming that the buffer sharing between drivers could also be useful for run-time switching between an integrated GPU and a discrete GPU?
            It's only part of the puzzle. This API just allows you to share dma pages between device drivers. You still need to fix X/wayland/whatever to decouple rendering and display and provide an API to handle switching, selecting a different renderer, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X