Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Puts Out New Open-Source ARM DRM Driver

Phoronix: Samsung Puts Out New Open-Source ARM DRM Driver

Samsung has published the code to a new open-source DRM driver for its EXYNOS4210 System-On-a-Chip. The EXYNOS4210 has impressive 3D graphics capabilities, uses the dual-core ARM Cortex A9 processor, and is used in various smart-phones. The Samsung Galaxy S II is one of the smart-phones using the Exynos 4210 SoC. Samsung is hoping to push this DRM driver into the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is still good news, hopefully if Samsung decide to use Mesa it'll mean year another company working on the Gallium infrastructure

Fingers crossed

Comment

Open the whole stack or GTFO!

Not that it mattered, but I fully support the "open the whole thing up or shove it up your ass" attitude among the kernel developers. Why the hell should they volunteer to maintain something that's even remotely useful only when used by some binary crap from user space?
      Last edited by ?John?; 26 August 2011, 09:11 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by ?John? View Post
        Not that it mattered, but I fully support the "open the whole thing up or shove it up your ass" attitude among the kernel developers. Why the hell should they volunteer to maintain something that's even remotely useful only when used by some binary crap from user space?
        I agree too, but I think Samsung are slowly starting to see the benefits of open source and could be convinced to do the right thing TM

Comment

Even without any userspace things, it still provides KMS, and with llvmpipe probably that can be good enough for normal usage. If not with X, then at least with Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post
            Even without any userspace things, it still provides KMS, and with llvmpipe probably that can be good enough for normal usage. If not with X, then at least with Wayland.
            Indeed, having KMS kind-of separates this from other DRM drivers which are pretty much only hooks for the proprietary userspace to dock to.

I think KMS in itself is already very useful, it's pretty the modern equivalent of a simple Xorg 2D driver... Let's see what the kernel developers have to say about this.

Comment

What is "FIMD" ? Some embedded kind of video interface ? Wikipedia and google do not seem to know about it.

Comment

Yeah, I think if I were the kernel devs, I would accept the KMS bits and tell them to come back with the rest when they have an open-source driver using the rest.

Comment

I dont think Samsung is opensource company. I think it is like Oracle or Microsoft. Why? Because their Bada OS, is, unlike Android, closed source proprietary. And its kernel is copypasted and closed BSD kernel (stolen, but BSD people are such happy sheep, loving to be food for wolves).

Short and fast, samsung is garbage.

Comment

A good new for opensource community.
                    But this was a huge failure from samsung, thinking on competitors...

Comment

Working...
                    X