Multiple X Servers For One Graphics Card, Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    The 6770 Eyefinity5 cards should be sufficient, and at 100 EUR they cost a lot less than the 5870 Eyefinity6 cards did. An AM3+ mobo with 6 PCIe x16 slots costs less than 200 EUR.

This combination would allow for 30 Users already (although with at most 6-core CPU and 16 GB RAM don't expect stellar performance).
    You forgot that Linux has file system cache. So xorg bin/lib files loaded from disk once. Same for firefox, OOo, libs, etc.
    Also memory footprint for .text segments of these also have one copy into the memory. 6-CPU and 16GB RAM, i think is sufficient for 30 users. Linux also has CPU control groups, which prevents one user to cannibalize all CPUs.
    Over all. This is perfect for academic/government sector, which by definition are tight on budget.

Comment

If it wasn't for Adobe Flash and Web 2.0, then I'd almost agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        If it wasn't for Adobe Flash and Web 2.0, then I'd almost agree with you.
        Please notice that there are multiple working solutions that provide multi workstations per one pc/server such as ltsp, PCOverIP, Windows MultiPoint Server and others that have been used for some time now so don't bring something like this to discussion :P
        Windows multipoint server and windows RDP both should support now video/flash/directX acceleration(even over network).

Comment

Working...
        X