Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DRM Pull For The Gardenshed (Linux 3.0) Kernel

Phoronix: The DRM Pull For The Gardenshed (Linux 3.0) Kernel

While it's not known yet what the next Linux kernel will be called, right now it's looking like the next release could be the Linux 3.0 kernel. With that said, David Airlie has a pull request to go in before the merge window closes for the Linux 2.6.40/3.0 kernel. He's sent in the DRM pull request for this next kernel as the Gardenshed-rc1 kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTQ3Nw

I really don't see why everybody wants to have time based version numbers.

The version numbers could be used to signal breaking changes or new features.
    Which is way more important than knowing the date of release by reading the version number. Being able to read about compatibility scores way higher in my opinion.

And what's the problem exactly with version numbers like e.g. 2.6.45 ?

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
      I really don't see why everybody wants to have time based version numbers.

The version numbers could be used to signal breaking changes or new features.
      Which is way more important than knowing the date of release by reading the version number. Being able to read about compatibility scores way higher in my opinion.

And what's the problem exactly with version numbers like e.g. 2.6.45 ?
      Well, if you think about it, there's not much in common between 2.6.0 and 2.6.40/3.0/whatever.... so yeah, it would be a good indication of compatibility. Keep the 2.6.39 kernel as a very-long-term-stable/legacy release, and move the blood into 3.0. Coinciding with the start of the 3rd decade is a nice bonus.

Comment

whats AMD treebark??

Comment

I hope that the Cirrus KMS driver for KVM is still gonna make into 2.6.40/3.0/whatever.
          Last edited by trapDoor; 24 May 2011, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X