Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 11.04 Is Prepping For Mesa 7.10, X Server 1.10

Phoronix: Ubuntu 11.04 Is Prepping For Mesa 7.10, X Server 1.10

The Ubuntu X developers are getting ready to push the Mesa 7.10 graphics library and X.Org Server 1.10 into the Natty Narwhal repository for Ubuntu 11.04. Due to API/ABI breakage, this also results in new driver builds going into Natty, and for a period of time at least where the ATI Catalyst driver will no longer be compatible with the xorg-server (though the NVIDIA binary driver should properly support Linux 2.6.37 and xorg-server 1.10 right now)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is the reason I sold my PoS ATI and got an nVidia.
    I don't have to wait until a kernel is 120 days old to be supported.
    Thanks, but no thanks ATI. I'll never buy your hardware ever again.

I use Arch Linux, and get new kernels very soon after official release. And guess what, they're ALWAYS supported by nVidia, while ATI users suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      This is the reason I sold my PoS ATI and got an nVidia.
      I don't have to wait until a kernel is 120 days old to be supported.
      Thanks, but no thanks ATI. I'll never buy your hardware ever again.

I use Arch Linux, and get new kernels very soon after official release. And guess what, they're ALWAYS supported by nVidia, while ATI users suffer.
      And here i was thinking we will see the repost of that "Ubuntu xx.xx ships with a special beta driver released for Canonical only". Again.

In all fairness, my GTX460 (Gigabyte, overclocked version) doesn't play well with Linux either. After a few minutes, the screen gets all messed up and everything but the mouse freezes up. Still, it's just the first hitch in 5 years or so of Linux usage.

Comment

Nvidia support Linux very well, of cause. But AMD gives the choise of building a OSS driver for there hardware. This is for me a very good point to use AMD because in future, this is told so often before, you have the choise between two drivers. The oldest card I use now is an Ati X1400 with an excellent OSS radeon driver and, up to yet, poor performance. But this will getting better in future (see actual phoronix articles).
        And this is why I will choose AMD in future, too.
        I think everybody can decide for himself and without he chance to make big errors, both strategies are ok: Nvidia with the best driver so far and AMD with the choise for us to build the best (in certain ways) driver.
        I think we've nearly passed those days where display drivers under Linuy where bad.

Cheers, ben

Comment

>> In all fairness, my GTX460 (Gigabyte, overclocked version) doesn't play well with

I've been using a PNY GTX460 with Natty for many months with no issues (using nVidia binary drivers). Sounds like you either don't have the drivers installed properly, or have a defective card.

Comment

hmm I could now write the opposite about nvidia fights against opensource projects like linux by not supporting it, and that we should not buy stuff from them. But if you use Linux just because windows sucks for your tasks nvidia is maybe the better choice. If you dont want to use your card in 3-5 years (because then the support form the nvidia drivers drop and you can use it only 2d) I don?t cound nouvou because it?s made against nvidias wishes. And if you want use such that linux or other free os only if nvidia decides to allow it to you. If you want to be fully dependend on nvidias decitions what they want to allow you. Or if a new Manager maybe stopps new driver releases for linux...

Ok I wrote about it ^^

But what I wanted to say you actually was that you have to take what you want and if you are using opensource just because of features or free beer mentality go ahead and give away some of your freedom, but dont flame on companys who respekt the freedom (more) from the people.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
              >> In all fairness, my GTX460 (Gigabyte, overclocked version) doesn't play well with

I've been using a PNY GTX460 with Natty for many months with no issues (using nVidia binary drivers). Sounds like you either don't have the drivers installed properly, or have a defective card.
              The card is fine, it plays games on Windows. It's also ok if I disable the proprietary driver. I'm thinking, maybe because it's heavily overclocked, there may be some timing issues. Or maybe some leftovers from my previous card (GTX260), but I have tried disabling and enabling the proprietary driver and it didn't fix the problem. I'll probably do a fresh install when 11.04 is released and keep my fingers crossed.

Anyway, back on topic.
              @lightbulb: You are waiting for proper open-source support for a card that is 5 years old. I wouldn't exactly count that as an advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                @lightbulb: You are waiting for proper open-source support for a card that is 5 years old. I wouldn't exactly count that as an advantage.
                What exactly is NOT supported on his card?

Let's stick to the facts, please, thank you. His card is FULLY supported, and the performance is actually very good.

More recent hardware has OK support (up to OpenGL 2.1 atm), and some waiting is in order, that's true. But my card is less than 2 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  hmm I could now write the opposite about nvidia fights against opensource projects like linux by not supporting it, and that we should not buy stuff from them. But if you use Linux just because windows sucks for your tasks nvidia is maybe the better choice. If you dont want to use your card in 3-5 years (because then the support form the nvidia drivers drop and you can use it only 2d) I don?t cound nouvou because it?s made against nvidias wishes. And if you want use such that linux or other free os only if nvidia decides to allow it to you. If you want to be fully dependend on nvidias decitions what they want to allow you. Or if a new Manager maybe stopps new driver releases for linux...

Ok I wrote about it ^^

But what I wanted to say you actually was that you have to take what you want and if you are using opensource just because of features or free beer mentality go ahead and give away some of your freedom, but dont flame on companys who respekt the freedom (more) from the people.
                  Obtaining freedom requires people to die for it. Tell me, who has died for it? Freedom has nothing to do with 1s and 0s and it is absurd to find two grown men bickering over whose software is more "free".

P.S. BSD licensing is more open than GPL licensing. :P

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    What exactly is NOT supported on his card?

Let's stick to the facts, please, thank you. His card is FULLY supported, and the performance is actually very good.

More recent hardware has OK support (up to OpenGL 2.1 atm), and some waiting is in order, that's true. But my card is less than 2 years old.
                    I wouldn't know, I haven't bought ATI for a while. But he said "Ati X1400 with an excellent OSS radeon driver and, up to yet, poor performance". So...
                    Plus, if OpenGL 2.1 is considered "OK support", I rest my case.

Comment

Working...
                    X