The Fallacy Behind Open-Source GPU Drivers, Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirv View Post
    I suggest you go back and re-read that thread - Bridgman never said anything of the sort.
    Bridgman stated in my ATI bashing thread the following, on page 1, and I quote:

"We work with the community to make initial support available (working code and/or docs) and the open source community does most of the enhancement work. We were told multiple times "just give us programming information and the community will do the rest" - we are doing that and more."

Anyone else want to take a poke at me?

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin View Post
      Hey vendors. Here's an idea: don't bother with closed-source drivers. Just make one open-source one.

I mean, you might have a few more headaches in the beginning (with legal or whatever), but we'll love you all the more for it.
      Only open-source so a person can only run @ 1/4 the performance of a 5 generation old card running a blob on todays top of the line card? Ummm, ya, no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr James View Post
        Bridgman stated in my ATI bashing thread the following, on page 1, and I quote:

"We work with the community to make initial support available (working code and/or docs) and the open source community does most of the enhancement work. We were told multiple times "just give us programming information and the community will do the rest" - we are doing that and more."

Anyone else want to take a poke at me?
        That response does not mean that the community is refusing assistance from AMD. Please, read it again to see what is actually being said.
        The community did, multiple times, talk about that all they needed were the programming docs - that's a request for something from AMD (or ATI, whichever time frame you're looking at) - and that AMD wouldn't need to help beyond that. AMD released the docs, are helping beyond that, and the community is embracing that assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
          You've been trolling awfully hard lately becuase you couldn't be arsed to verify that the hardware you purchased was supported in a way that was satisfying to you.
          Actually, we are talking about the FOSS drivers and all FOSS graphics drivers regardless of manufacturer suck. ATI sucks way less because the at least partitipate in providing info and trying to help. FOSS support for your card is just as lousy as for my card. So I don't see what your point is.

Tearing into the very people that you rely on to make that hardware work and making libellous statements about them is sure to help the situation, though!
          I'm tearing into them because they, as bridgman pointed out are not letting the AMD devs participate enough.

Please go buy nvidia, install their blob, and be done with it already.
          Why should I buy nVidia when my AMD card is recent and performs well? All I need is a proper driver, FOSS or not - and not just me but every other ATI Linux consumer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            Mr James is cute, isn't he? Or pathetic. Depending on the point of view.

Btw, my latest mobo has amd onboard graphics. I am contemplating to turn it on and connect an usused display I have standing around.
            And your problem with me is?

Comment

That response does not mean that the community is refusing assistance from AMD. Please, read it again to see what is actually being said.
              The community did, multiple times, talk about that all they needed were the programming docs - that's a request for something from AMD (or ATI, whichever time frame you're looking at) - and that AMD wouldn't need to help beyond that. AMD released the docs, are helping beyond that, and the community is embracing that assistance.
              Now this is a decent reply. Thank you.

I posted based on what Bridgman stated. There is no way of deducing from Bridgman's post that that which you explained. At least not by me. Again, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Only open-source so a person can only run @ 1/4 the performance of a 5 generation old card running a blob on todays top of the line card? Ummm, ya, no thanks.
                Well stated. +1

Comment

Originally posted by Mr James View Post
                  Now this is a decent reply. Thank you.

I posted based on what Bridgman stated. There is no way of deducing from Bridgman's post that that which you explained. At least not by me. Again, thanks.
                  I realised that perhaps you didn't know some of the history - if you dig hard enough, you might find "ancient" posts on Phoronix, but the community wanting the programming docs goes back to before then. I remember the r200 driver days with the radeon8500 - those drivers were fast (really fast!) - the r200 mostly worked, and ATI wasn't supporting consumer cards (blob or otherwise), hence the community wanting docs so they could take of everything.
                  Others, feel free to fill in any gaps in my knowledge here, or correct where I'm mistaken!

Comment

I realised that perhaps you didn't know some of the history - if you dig hard enough, you might find "ancient" posts on Phoronix, but the community wanting the programming docs goes back to before then. I remember the r200 driver days with the radeon8500 - those drivers were fast (really fast!) - the r200 mostly worked, and ATI wasn't supporting consumer cards (blob or otherwise), hence the community wanting docs so they could take of everything.
                    Others, feel free to fill in any gaps in my knowledge here, or correct where I'm mistaken!
                    Nah, they will just call you a liar or a troll or some other shit.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Um? While unrealistic, the idea is that if every attempt is concentrated on one driver only (opensource in our case) the results would be much better than the current situation...

Comment

Working...
                      X