Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Instruments Puts Out A New Open-Source Driver

Phoronix: Texas Instruments Puts Out A New Open-Source Driver

Earlier this week there was the release of a new open-source Linux driver by an engineer at Texas Instruments. The TI DMM-TILER is this new driver and its for the dynamic memory manager block on Texas Instruments hardware. "Its purpose is to organize video/image memory in a 2-dimensional fashion to limit memory bandwidth and facilitate 0 effort rotation and mirroring. The TILER driver facilitates allocating, freeing, as well as mapping 2D blocks (areas) in the TILER container(s). It also facilitates rotating and mirroring the allocated blocks or its rectangular subsections."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems like there's a real communication issue between hardware manufacturers and kernel devs. They keep re-inventing the wheel, and I feel like no one really has the complete picture here. Someone really needs to do the research in order to make a really informed decision on kernel graphics APIs.

Comment

TI makes cpus/gpus?
      I thought they only did opamps and discrete components.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
        TI makes cpus/gpus?
        TI has made cpus for a long time, they have even made some x86 parts in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          TI has made cpus for a long time, they have even made some x86 parts in the past.
          I used to have a TI 486.

Afaik they still make ARM CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by W3ird_N3rd View Post
            I used to have a TI 486.

Afaik they still make ARM CPUs.
            Yup, times were good for choice before intel decided to be a IP greedy SOB and yes TI makes a crapload of ARM based chips.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              TI makes cpus/gpus?
              They're a major player in ARM "application processors" for mobile phones, as well as DSPs. They also have a line of low-power microcontrollers.

Comment

TI acutally makes the Mali GPUs.. could be for that.

Comment

Working...
                X