Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel, Radeon DRM Get Precise VBlank Timestamps

Phoronix: Intel, Radeon DRM Get Precise VBlank Timestamps

Mario Kleiner has published patches over the weekend that introduce precise vblank time-stamping support within the Linux kernel's DRM core and has implemented this support already within the Radeon and Intel kernel drivers too. The precise vblank timestamps and counting is needed by the DRI2 sync and swap extensions and in particular to conform with the OML_sync_control extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So will this solve the "flashing" problem of the dynpm code?

It would be really nice because echoing the necessary parameters to the kernel each time my computer is started is a pain.

Comment

Have you tried dynpm with the latest kernel code ? IIRC there was a typo fix a couple of weeks ago related to dynpm display flicker.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Have you tried dynpm with the latest kernel code ? IIRC there was a typo fix a couple of weeks ago related to dynpm display flicker.
        I am on 2.6.36 final. I bet you are talking about drm-testing, right?

Anyway, last time I tried dynpm it didn't change my clocks at all, i.e. it stayed maxed out. However, I don't feel any performance regression after setting the low profile, so compiz effects are still fast enough for me (obviously fps in games drops). Rv730 if it matters.

Comment

I think this is the commit... I don't *think* it went into 2.6.36 but not 100% sure.

Test signature

Comment

If this helps get rid of all the vsync issues I always have in Linux, I will have a geekgasm.

Graphics tearing needs to stop, across the board, by default.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I think this is the commit... I don't *think* it went into 2.6.36 but not 100% sure.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...259c47adfe4c6f
              Oh, cool! I'll give it a try pretty soon. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                If this helps get rid of all the vsync issues I always have in Linux, I will have a geekgasm.

Graphics tearing needs to stop, across the board, by default.
                Agrees emphatically.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Agrees emphatically.
                  Thirded.

Although perhaps someone could clarify this for me: does anything else still need to be implemented in gstreamer/mplayer/etc to properly sync, or is that all in place and ready and it was just lower level DRM issues that were breaking sync?

Comment

Working...
                  X