replied
    Originally posted by energyman View Post
    so in 17 years you did not figure out to:
    buy hardware that works
    patch kernels
    or
    merge git trees.

hmmm...
    You're off topic and a troll. Either stick to the issue at hand, or don't post. This is not about me merging git trees and patching kernels. This is about users being able to install new versions of drivers without installing a whole new kernel or needing to merge Git trees and patching kernels.

Perhaps trolling is in your DNA and you don't know better. But it's OK, we can try ripping that part out of you, if you're willing to cooperate.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    so in 17 years you did not figure out to:
    buy hardware that works
    patch kernels
    or
    merge git trees.

hmmm...

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by energyman View Post
    wrong. You can pull just the git tree that was merged for that changes.
    You're a funny guy, you know that? You assume pulling Git subtrees on top of your current stable kernel is going to work, and that everyone out there is a geek who knows not only what Git is, but how it works too.

Oh, and never mind that there's no driver ABI in Linux, which means the results are unpredictable. No sir, we just pull the Git tree.

If you can't do that, you should not build your own kernels in the first place.
    BS. I'm building kernels since 1993. So any comments about what I should and shouldn't do should be directed elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    It's not a small one. It's a big one. You're forced to pull all driver updates, not only those you want.
    wrong. You can pull just the git tree that was merged for that changes.

If you can't do that, you should not build your own kernels in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    For a real graphics driver update 1.10.1 won't do. You'll have to wait for 1.11.

It's the same sad situation with the kernel. Even if the new DRI/DRM ATI driver is ready and rocking with features I badly need, I can't use it; have to wait for kernel 2.6.36 since 2.6.35.4 doesn't ship it.

This situation is pretty much the major issue I hate in Linux and where Win/OS X beat Linux into a pulp.
    because instead of waiting for three month (or pulling a git tree) you have to wait for years or hope that the vendor gets of his ass?

Yeah, sounds so much better.

Leave a comment:

• nzjrs
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    "It puts the lotions on it's skin or it get the rubber hose again"

"It compiles the source again and again or it sits in the tin box again."

"It uses Keith's shet or it gets beat with the rubber whip."

"It commits Intel's source or it will get beat without remorse."

"Remove TTM or slapped with UMS again."

J/K!!!
    You are insane

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    Originally posted by jbernardo View Post
    I can only speak for myself, as one of the idiots that got stuck with a GMA500 and has been doing everything in his power to keep the drivers working despite Intel's efforts in killing them. The fact that this merge is proposed by an Intel employee is just the final irony - this move will kill any GMA500 or similar abandoned graphics driver, short of a "nouveau-like" reverse engineering that nobody has the resources to do.
    And I can only imagine what would have happened if x had been "de-modularized" when the original psb drivers where released, we (me and the other users hacking on this) would still be stuck in a 2 years old x, with no way to upgrade, and with all the kernel integration we would also probably be stuck with the same old kernel.
    So, as a end user that has already compiled and packaged kernel modules, libdrm variants, and xorg drivers, I can state I am against this merge. Not that I expect that my opinion will count much.
    I agree with you! Conflict of interest.

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    "It puts the lotions on it's skin or it get the rubber hose again"

"It compiles the source again and again or it sits in the tin box again."

"It uses Keith's shet or it gets beat with the rubber whip."

"It commits Intel's source or it will get beat without remorse."

"Remove TTM or slapped with UMS again."

J/K!!!

Leave a comment:

• jbernardo
    replied
    I can only speak for myself, as one of the idiots that got stuck with a GMA500 and has been doing everything in his power to keep the drivers working despite Intel's efforts in killing them. The fact that this merge is proposed by an Intel employee is just the final irony - this move will kill any GMA500 or similar abandoned graphics driver, short of a "nouveau-like" reverse engineering that nobody has the resources to do.
    And I can only imagine what would have happened if x had been "de-modularized" when the original psb drivers where released, we (me and the other users hacking on this) would still be stuck in a 2 years old x, with no way to upgrade, and with all the kernel integration we would also probably be stuck with the same old kernel.
    So, as a end user that has already compiled and packaged kernel modules, libdrm variants, and xorg drivers, I can state I am against this merge. Not that I expect that my opinion will count much.

Leave a comment:

• Hephasteus
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    And what's the deal, is your name "Hephasteus"?
    No but he answered your question. And since you can't reply to 2 posts in a row I don't think. I'm going to rant more.

The way I see this is keeping the "windows" model alive. The windows model gives every manufacturer a huge responsibility. They have to impliment everything their hardware can do and hook it into the operating system. This gives a chance for one company to steal all the resources. This is why you are getting a schizm already developing in the windows 7 desktop. Nvidia wants direct compute and physx. ATI wants direct compute and OpenCL. They both want to satisfy the graphics requirements of simple desktop gaming and the deeper more involved more technical more flexible OpenGL workstation cards.

Sorry but let's just get to the bottom line here. The gpu is an advanced floating point processor. If the operating system is going to have a chance in hell of taking control of every resource on the computer and using it with maximum flexibility and build an infrastructure of code and organize into projects the graphics are going to have to go into the kernel. GPU CPU you're not going to blur the lines between those two things until you BlUR THE LINES.

I don't know exactly what is going on here and I don't exactly what the technical hurdles are but I can smell the attempts of dominating and attempts of hijacking as everyone tries to force linux into their basement and drop the bottle of lotion down to it.

If you have to sync kernels to x to drivers, who cares. If it's summer releases of 2011 and there's still not decent open source graphics on linux then it can get mucked about with. I've spent over 30 hours the last 2 years just looking at log files watching the developement as linux has gradually taken more and more control over my system. Detected more and more hardware and learned to use it correctly. Just because it's not done I don't see the problem here. It's working.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X