Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Parts Of X.Org Should Be Killed With Fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing classic fb with drmfb+KMS would be sweeet.

there is, however, not a cool thing with KMS i've noticed recently - when you have several displays with different resolution attached, everything rendered into small "console window" by the size of smallest display.
    it looks like crap if there is an old tv attached.
    not cool at all if it becomes normal for everything.

"A KMS mga driver that correctly sets up both heads, and handles the weird tiling setup, would be an instant win for all twelve of us in the world with these chipsets."(c)
    funny stuff and true.

Comment

There should be no hurry in removing older parts of X.Org, especially drivers. Most users haven't even tested Gallium3D so it could not be told that classic Mesa DDX should be removed. In my case for example UMS drivers worked better than KMS (r300) when Kubuntu delivered KMS and for KMS I had to make some workarounds to meet my needs with multiseat configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        "Corbin is no longer in attendance; he washed his US passport in the laundry."

This is a Microsoft conspiracy. They have people inside the CIA and were able to destroy his passport. This in an attempt to keep X.Org from modernizing itself so that it can't compete with the MS Windows GUI stack.
        Originally posted by BlackStar
        Also Mono, Gnome, Novell, Miguel.
        I know you two are trying to be funny, but it was just revealed in another thread that Phoronix is plagued with Microsoft ads. What somebody on MS payroll is exactly doing on a Linux conference trying to get Xorg developers drunk I leave for the most astute readers.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
          there is, however, not a cool thing with KMS i've noticed recently - when you have several displays with different resolution attached, everything rendered into small "console window" by the size of smallest display.
          it looks like crap if there is an old tv attached.
          not cool at all if it becomes normal for everything.
          Yeah, I've noticed it, too. So I've had to put script with xrandr commands at X start to properly set display resolutions and arrange displays.

Comment

Originally posted by dfx. View Post
            true. I have a 720p projector connected - it's not even on (power cord unplugged), but somehow it's still detected. Even if it was on it couldn't possibly display anything: there's two DVI monitors attached, and evergreen can't do 2x DVI + 1x HDMI at the same time.
            Yet it still lowers the usable console window.

I don't care much (there's still more text than without KMS/FB), but it is a bit weird.

Comment

I think what eeds to be killed is the dlloader, or at least make it work with 'LD_BIND_NOW=1'.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                And I'm using the mga driver with an old pci based millenium G200.
                I've got a "rage mobility P/M" in an old laptop(Fujitsu P2110), it uses a small part of the mach64 driver. In fact when i bought the laptop it wasn't supported by any driver at the time, even the mach64 one as it is a variant of the mach64 hardware. It would be a shame to have to retire my "thin terminal"

Comment

My trusty old IBM Thinkpad T23 still uses the Savage driver, so why kill that off as there maybe a lot of machines that have this graphics chipset out there?

Comment

I still have 2 mach64 (GL 1.2 capable) cards and one NeoMagic 256av (Should be capable of some GL... no driver supports 3d on it but the windows one)

I wish the 3d mach64 driver were fixed at the moment its dog slow.

Comment

Washing something in the washer is a good excuse for a political movement.

Here we go again another jerk wanting to throw out the baby with the bathwater. "When the 300G has matured." Did they finish the 300 standard edition yet? Is it working at the same speed or better with respect to the Window's XP driver?

Possibly these guys are just kidding around. There are still people using older chipsets. My radeon 9800 all in wonder still out performs my HD4200. But why AMD doesn't release a recent driver for it is beyond me.

The conspiracy is that they'll (open source) work hard and develop something that is about 86% by the end of life comparable to their Window's counterparts. Next they'll try throwing out the code and starting over saying it's for the best. (Intel)

It's never a good idea to throw out and start over. You'll never surpass your previous attempt. Corners get cut and feelings get hurt. The customer is never happy to hear it'll be another 6 months. "Just around the corner" "Almost there" "New and improved"

I waited 3 years to see performance on my i945.

Here's a good one. Remember the S3? Used to have support in XFree86. Delegated to the VGA driver now. How long before TNT2 is just VGA. Intel i945 is VGA.

I was actually surprised to see the Trident Cyberblade performing as well as it did in Ubuntu 10.04. But the XP driver runs circles around it.

Comment

Working...
                      X