• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resorted to editing xorg.conf? Heck, I prefer doing it that way

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Resorted to editing xorg.conf? Heck, I prefer doing it that way
      I suspect most people don't even need one anymore. I only need one to activate Zaphod mode.

Comment

Like I said before, I don't do ANYTHING to configure X. It works out of the box with free drivers, at native resolution, without needing anything.

I don't have an xorg.conf and I don't use anything else.

Comment

Well, I would only *need* it for setting my keyboard and some driver options, but I prefer to have it because explicit settings are always faster than any kind of autoscanning.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
            you obviously haven't tried the evergreen 3d code yet

ok, those should be classified as "beta".. still, stability is not an intrinsic property of open source software. It's just somewhat easier to achieve in the OSS gfx drivers due to reduced features, thus reduced code complexity.
            The LCD monitor on my file server freaks out when I boot up with nouveau. It complains about invalid video formats over and over and I can't get the messages to go away. When I use the nvidia driver it works just fine.

Comment

I really only use xorg.conf nowadays for enabling color tiling in radeon.

Comment

You didn't think thoroughly about resolution choices. Come on, today's laptops are often equipped with a 1440 x 900 screen - to which category would You qualify it, less than 1280 x 1024 or less than 1600 x 1200?

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                  stability is not an intrinsic property of open source software.
                  It actually is.
                  Because of the infinite variation of packages, versions, and patchsets, something dynamic, like open source drivers, which can be adjusted to match the particular conditions, will naturally be more stable than a static blob that is designed for a much more rigid set of conditions.

It's just somewhat easier to achieve in the OSS gfx drivers due to reduced features, thus reduced code complexity.
                  Complexity of code isn't necessarily a reason for something to be unstable. More like the fact that all the blobs are just windoze drivers shoehorned into a totally incompatible system... and the dynamic nature of the operating system obviously, as mentioned above, needs a more dynamic driver.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
                    The LCD monitor on my file server freaks out when I boot up with nouveau. It complains about invalid video formats over and over and I can't get the messages to go away. When I use the nvidia driver it works just fine.
                    99.9% probable that your monitor is the unstable one in this equation. It is probably sending back a defective EDID. The blob driver may have an override for that particular monitor... which you are free to implement in the open source driver if you wish.

Note: It is NOT the job of the driver to override defective input data, it is the job of the monitor to provide good information about its characteristics. If this weren't the case, then there would be no need to supply an EDID -- just manufacturer and model ID numbers.

Here's how you can force a mode without having to hack the driver: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting

Comment

Originally posted by m_gol View Post
                      You didn't think thoroughly about resolution choices. Come on, today's laptops are often equipped with a 1440 x 900 screen - to which category would You qualify it, less than 1280 x 1024 or less than 1600 x 1200?
                      In this case, I would actually multiply them all out and use a pixel count for figuring this out.

1440x900=1296000
                      1280x1024=1310720
                      1600x1200=1920000

So the 1440x900 would fit under the 1280x1024

Comment

Working...
                      X