Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 3dfx Linux Driver Has Hope & It's Getting TTM

Phoronix: The 3dfx Linux Driver Has Hope & It's Getting TTM

Yesterday we reported on the emergence of the 3Dfx Linux DRM/KMS driver that introduces Linux kernel mode-setting support for the decade-old Banshee and Voodoo graphics cards. This work was done by a lone developer, but at this time it doesn't play well with the 3dfx X.Org DDX driver, which diminished hopes of it entering the mainline kernel. However, it appears there is interest in this driver and that the developer is now working on adding TTM memory management support for these 3dfx PCI/AGP graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let's just hope it doesn't take a decade before we see a fully open-source DRM/KMS stack for Intel's outsourced graphics processors (as found with the Poulsbo, etc) that are currently causing a big mess.
    I won't hold my breath for that. The only thing that could possibly cause me to have any hope on that front would be if Intel bought out PowerVR. Seeing as PowerVR is a subsidiary of a fairly large company (and Apple seems to be interested in holding a stake in it, too), that doesn't seem very likely.

Comment

Glad the developers are spending time on fancy new cards like 3dfx instead of crusty old glorified VGA cards like Radeons.

Comment

wasting time on this old pile of e-garbage won't get you anywhere. nVidia still rules.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
          Glad the developers are spending time on fancy new cards like 3dfx instead of crusty old glorified VGA cards like Radeons.
          I'm sorry, were you going to pay me?

My current state of Radeon affairs is like this.

r300g is largely not something I need to worry about right now. Marek and Dave have been working on it, and I don't need to touch it very often. I wouldn't mind working on it more, but it's gone from the part of development where it's fun, to the part where there's lots of tweaking and optimizing.

r600g is still Jerome's pet. I promised him that I wouldn't work on it until he had settled on good interfaces and gotten gears working.

I have a stack of old graphics cards. r128 needs KMS. tdfx just got KMS and needs some userspace work (DDX and Mesa), and for hysterical raisins it would be *great* if we could get DRI2 on tdfx, because it would remove the 16bpp limit on the server. mga needs KMS as well as shitloads of consolidation and tweaks. There's lots of mga acceleration code scattered throughout Xorg, the kernel, and mplayer, and it should live in one place. I have a glint that will likely be tacked onto Matt's KMS project after he's finished.

Pydra, that one thing that I'm paid full-time to work on, is completely orthogonal to my Xorg work. So, all my graphics development is in my spare time. Right now, I'm usually coming home and doing DarkLight, because I want to have a release before Defcon so I have something to show off.

Comment

This is really great news, for those that have 3dfx hardware ofcourse. I hope someone will do something about savage driver too I have old t20 laptop which worked for some time, maybe a whole year with dri, right now glxgears gives only blackscreen, mplayer with -vo gl2 works, -vo gl can sometimes crash X. I remember couple of months ago that I could not use gl at all because someone forgot to remove some assertion check...couple of months later that was fixed.

Nobody test and cares about old hardware anymore...

And I have an old matrox g400 card in basement, it would be great if mga will get some new goodies too. I remember how this card worked flawlessly with -vo mga and -vo xmga, 2d quality and speed was perfect! I didn't saw anything even close to that when using nvidia or ati drivers...

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
              wasting time on this old pile of e-garbage won't get you anywhere. nVidia still rules.
              I completely agree. And wasting time on OpenOffice and FreeBSD will not get you anywhere either.

nVidia rules.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                Yeah, and while we're at it, why not replace GCC with ICC, Wine with Corssover, OO.o with StarOffice and also replace the Linux kernel, because a module is just... it just sucks dude. nVidia still dominates the fscking world. Just replace everything with proprietary crap!

Comment

V!NCENT, don't be such a fundamentalist zealot.

If you compiled your system with ICC (I mean your Windows, not the Linux fundie crap), you would get more FPS on your Workraft.

The REAL users will keep laughing at your FPS and your open schmopen source.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    >don't be such a fundamentalist zealot

>If you compiled your system with ICC
                    >Linux fundie crap
                    >The REAL users
                    >open schmopen source
                    Sorry, were you attempting sarcasm?

Comment

Working...
                    X