X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keegdsb
    replied
    Originally posted by Chad Page View Post
    Yeah - only the Voodoo 4 AGP supports 1.5V, so even if you could fit most 3Dfx cards in a Pentium 4 or newer Bad Things will happen.
    I once watched a friend cram a Voodoo 5 5500 into a motherboard that he was sure was AGP 2x/4x... but it was in fact 4x/8x. It caught on fire.

I would like to dig out my 5500 and play with the new driver, but I don't have a (working) motherboard to build a system with it anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Chad Page
    replied
    Yeah - only the Voodoo 4 AGP supports 1.5V, so even if you could fit most 3Dfx cards in a Pentium 4 or newer Bad Things will happen.

Leave a comment:

• Alejandro Nova
    replied
    I still remember when I had a V3 3000 and the only reason for it to work under Windows XP were the Mesa drivers, backported to Windows and recompiled there. Those drivers still exist, and are a testimony of what can be done to extend the life of a product with truly free software drivers.

This card truly deserves TTM, KMS and whatever you get it to run on. It's a classic.

Leave a comment:

• PsynoKhi0
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    still would be ok if a new mainboard had an agp slot.....
    I'm fine, got a PCI version heh...
    Btw weren't the Voodoo picky about the AGP slot? (or rather, AGP specs changed "posthumously"?)

Leave a comment:

• DuSTman
    replied
    I love this.

It always saddened me when old pieces of hardware and/or software stopped working due to a new OS or other upgrades - like the computer industry's lost part of its heritage, if that makes any sense..

Besides, a lot of hardware of this age could still be of much use in a second hand/charity context, and it's nice to see that this isn't being let-slide by software attrition.

Very cool

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    This is definitely coolness. Those old voodoo cards were nice in the old days... still would be ok if a new mainboard had an agp slot..... my old voodoo3-2k is still in use -- gave it to my cousin, who uses it in her primary workhorse.

Leave a comment:

• MostAwesomeDude
    replied
    I've already pulled this patch into my kernel tree, and I'll be making it available for Dave to test and pull once I can get it working on my Banshee.

It's very cool to see this kind of code coming from the community and helping to remove old code that we no longer want in favor of stronger, more maintainable code.

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    I am also still a proud owner of a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI. It's sitting in my Digital Personal Workstation 500au (Alpha 21164 500Mhz), but unfortunately, it's in the parents basement about 1200 miles away from me at the moment... Another year and I'll be back in range of it.

It also happens to be the same system that my Creative AWE64 Gold currently resides in
    Yep I still have that card in my ancient box as well. Nice card and still works!

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    I still have a Banshee (in AGP format) in my junk parts box, and have acquired this card back in 1999. Might dust it off and use it in my ancient P3 450 machine

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    Raises the "I'm (still) a proud owner of a Voodoo-based card" flag
    Very nice to see some folks are interested in tinkering with those
    *Random "Those were the days" nostalgia with glimmer in the eyes goes here*
    I am also still a proud owner of a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI. It's sitting in my Digital Personal Workstation 500au (Alpha 21164 500Mhz), but unfortunately, it's in the parents basement about 1200 miles away from me at the moment... Another year and I'll be back in range of it.

It also happens to be the same system that my Creative AWE64 Gold currently resides in

Leave a comment:

Working...
X