Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Of What To Look Forward To At XDS2010

Phoronix: More Of What To Look Forward To At XDS2010

There is just over two months left until the 2010 X.Org Developers' Summit taking place in Toulouse, France. There's just over 30 registered participants at this time and not much has changed since the reminder a few weeks back, but a few more of the sessions have been expressed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> (no developers will be raiding the zoo this time)

Well, there is an African Zoo a bit souther (Sigean: http://www.reserveafricainesigean.fr/), so if people want to see GNUs, it's up to them

Anyway, I'll be there. Some French people should be helpful if we want to go out a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
      One of the talks is being called "Kill It With Fire" and it's about deciding what graphics hardware to actively support by X.Org with KMS, EXA, and other key Linux graphics features.
      Now that would be interesting. I think it would be great if they'd drop all the legacy baggage (e.g. for radeon drop all < r300). But I'm sure that's going to upset some users.

On a side note. I see that 9 out of the 11 links in the article are pointing back to phoronix. For crying out load, can you please cut it out with this crap? There's a whole world outside of the phoronix universe you know.

Comment

Who's talk is the "Kill it with fire"? X wiki isn't listing that.
        Yeah, probably the most interesting one.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          Now that would be interesting. I think it would be great if they'd drop all the legacy baggage (e.g. for radeon drop all < r300). But I'm sure that's going to upset some users.
          You won't even have to go that far. Just dropping XAA and all XAA only drivers would be a huge improvement. vesa + shadowfb would probably provide a better user experience anyway.

Comment

Wha? The Matrox XAA driver was superior in user experience to radeon EXA still about a year ago... Vesa = no XV.

Comment

It may have worked well, but how many people still use it? It's hard to say whether a lot of those drivers even work anymore. The only updates they get tend to be compile fixes to make them build against newer xservers. XAA is so bit-rotten that it's mostly software anyway.

It's hard to drop the old cruft. There's always someone who still wants it.

Comment

It may have worked well, but how many people still use it?
                A lot more then you must think, I hope you will carefully choose what you will drop, I don't want to use vesa on my t20. Savage driver had some EXA support but it is not usable at all... Is there a plan for such drivers that have partial support to make it better or you will drop those too?

Comment

In reality, I doubt any of these old drivers will get dropped any time soon. That said, this is 10+ year old hardware that hasn't been maintained in years. That fact that the drivers continue to work is mostly luck and in a number of cases, they don't. If someone wants to maintain an old driver, great, but at some point, you need to push on. The old drivers will continue to work with older xservers and the source will still be available.

Comment

Working...
                  X