Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm Releases Open-Source 2D/3D Kernel Driver

Phoronix: Qualcomm Releases Open-Source 2D/3D Kernel Driver

If you happen to have Google's Nexus One or other phones based upon Qualcomm's Snapdragon processor, there is great news today. Qualcomm has just released an open-source 2D/3D kernel driver for their OpenGL ES graphics processor. This Qualcomm kernel driver provides support for interrupts, command streams, context switching, memory management, etc. Qualcomm is looking to push this code into the mainline Linux kernel ASAP...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what are the implications for the end-user? My Nexus One already has graphics support.

Comment

Originally posted by atmartens View Post
      So what are the implications for the end-user? My Nexus One already has graphics support.
      Hopefully better quality driver in future releases of Android. They don't have to spend that much time maintaining the code out-of-tree so they can focus on fixing bugs and improvements. Plus others can now improve the driver if they want to.

Comment

Originally posted by atmartens View Post

Probably none whatsoever.

This type of news is generally only interesting to devs, and those who keep up on this kind of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
          This type of news is generally only interesting to devs, and those who keep up on this kind of stuff.
          And of course to those who develop third party ROM for Android mobiles and want to include custom kernels...

Comment

Working...
          X