Whoops, X.Org Server 1.9 Gets Another RC Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    You?re still full of shit, or troll.... or both.
    So even though I was prepared to spend $500 on an ATI card I'm an nVidia troll eh?

Comment

Yah, dat was my post. I found it amusing when your question had so clear a list at the X wiki.
      You asked for cards in use, not cards still for sale. Even then there's probably a ton of r128 server boards for sale.

Now, /back to bashing blobs.

Comment

The bullshit is almost getting unbearable, but I?ll just give it another shot...

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
        Firstly it would be helpful if you'd stop being a fool.
        Not answered.

Secondly, in what way would it make sense for the xorg devs to break either nVidia's blob or fglrx when so many people depend on them?
        Still not answered. Starting to ask myself who is the one that can?t read here...

Dude if you don't know why that's valuable then there's no hope for you.

Some people need fglrx. If they do, that rules out vsynced video in some configurations. If they then need to view vsynced video, they'll have to config their machine to use the FLOSS driver to do this and when they're finished, switch back to fglrx.
        First you brought up the fglrx point and then arguing along with yourself. It has never been about fglrx. But by the definition of important for desktop use and not workstation here at Phoronix I?ll give you a hint: what people need is not what people like. People need e-mail and people need digital agenda?s and being able to let their computer fill the roll of a typewriter. Everything else is fun/entertainment, being gaming. So by that definition some people might need tear free video to watch movies.

But then again some people might need Windows for app X. But that, as you may find after you did the brain surgery, is irregardless of X.org?s purpose and stance towards outside, closed sourced driver development.

Dude, look back at who brought up those cards. It was curaga who made the post with them listed. It's there in black and white. If you can't even read then there's not much hope for a worthwhile discussion.
        I already said I was fscking sorry and if you can manage to read and think at 40 degrees celsius (yes there is actually a temperature meter on the screen) when you?re barely used to 20 degrees just yet and on a phone than GLHF.

Just to help you out, here is the post in its entirety.
        I also said ?still in use today?. Server, for the love of god, should be good with a terminal only, or headless. How?s that for being a fool? Setting up Compiz when you?re running anything, not scientific because it?s old as hell, related to webserving is absolutely retarted and even then VESA will do the trick. God...

And yes back to bashing the blobs, if that?s OK with mugginz?

Comment

The bullshit is almost getting unbearable, but I?ll just give it another shot...

Not answered.
          To quote you:

Originally posted by V!NCENT
          Why does the free software X.org, being a refference implemenation of X11, that has its own free drivers, stop and considder supporting a commercial closed source driver that?s in development outside of X.org, which completely doesn't give a fsck about whether X.org wants to move on or uses new tech, when it already has Noveau? Care to explain? Or care to shut up? Choose one...
          I said

Originally posted by mugginz
          Secondly, in what way would it make sense for the xorg devs to break either nVidia's blob or fglrx when so many people depend on them?
          If you can't see why they'd want to enable the binary drivers then you don't have a very broad grasp of the computer market place. There is a need for the binary blobs that the FLOSS drivers can't meet. If you feel it's a reasonable thing for the xorg devs to not consider their impact on them then you need to do acquire some appreciation of what other people need.

Originally posted by mugginz
          Still not answered. Starting to ask myself who is the one that can?t read here...
          In what way is that not self explanatory?

First you brought up the fglrx point and then arguing along with yourself. It has never been about fglrx. But by the definition of important for desktop use and not workstation here at Phoronix I?ll give you a hint: what people need is not what people like. People need e-mail and people need digital agenda?s and being able to let their computer fill the roll of a typewriter. Everything else is fun/entertainment, being gaming. So by that definition some people might need tear free video to watch movies.
          There is a requirement for xorg to support both fglrx and nVidia's blob. The xorg devs can if they feel the need break those drivers in order to do other things with the open drivers. To break the binary drivers is to diminish the viability of the Linux platform to many users. If they break those drives the help break the Linux platform for a lot of people. If they want to provide a compelling solution for the majority they need to be sympathetic to the binary driver writers. Pretty simple stuff really.

But then again some people might need Windows for app X. But that, as you may find after you did the brain surgery, is irregardless of X.org?s purpose and stance towards outside, closed sourced driver development.
          No, xorg is required by many users to support the binary drivers. If xorg drops support for the binary drivers many users will drop Linux as a platform.

I already said I was fscking sorry and if you can manage to read and think at 40 degrees celsius (yes there is actually a temperature meter on the screen) when you?re barely used to 20 degrees just yet and on a phone than GLHF.
          And starting of the sentence with:

Originally posted by V!NCENT
          You?re still full of shit, or troll.... or both.
          is really being fair.

I also said ?still in use today?. Server, for the love of god, should be good with a terminal only, or headless. How?s that for being a fool? Setting up Compiz when you?re running anything, not scientific because it?s old as hell, related to webserving is absolutely retarted and even then VESA will do the trick. God...
          Running a file server was part of this discussion?

And yes back to bashing the blobs, if that?s OK with mugginz?
          If you must but you only make yourself look like a fool to do so.

Comment

I said [...] Secondly, in what way would it make sense for the xorg devs to break either nVidia's blob or fglrx when so many people depend on them? [...] In what way is that not self explanatory?
            Oh I don?t know... answering a question with a question? How can you possibly fail to grasp that? Well I don?t think that you are dumb, so naturaly I was wondering: ?You?re still full of shit, or troll.... [...]?, because you asked:
             Now who?s being full of shit V!NCENT.
            So I simply answered your rhethorical question because that should have been realy obvious, but leaving the option open which wasn?t a statement: ?[...] or both?.

If you can't see why they'd want to enable the binary drivers then you don't have a very broad grasp of the computer market place.
            If you can?t grasp why the color blue doesn?t match the color brown would be as logical as that. I was questioning why X.org would bow to nVidia while the very core of Linux, being Linux itself (as X.org runs on other non-Linux OS?s too), doesn?t. And it shows nVidia would work around the core of Linux and so why can?t X.org focus on Noveau and have nVidia do the same thing? Hell nVidia might actually produce some compatibility with more modern parts of X.org and they will because their customers need Linux support. So... again... what are we talking about? The bigger picture, does that say anything to you?

Hell Linux would be even more adopted if Linux would allow patented Windows shit into the kernel... So it is not the point. And please don?t tell me I have to explain what I am talking about right here...

There is a need for the binary blobs that the FLOSS drivers can't meet. If you feel it's a reasonable thing for the xorg devs to not consider their impact on them then you need to do acquire some appreciation of what other people need.

There is a requirement for xorg to support both fglrx and nVidia's blob. The xorg devs can if they feel the need break those drivers in order to do other things with the open drivers. To break the binary drivers is to diminish the viability of the Linux platform to many users. If they break those drives the help break the Linux platform for a lot of people. If they want to provide a compelling solution for the majority they need to be sympathetic to the binary driver writers. Pretty simple stuff really.
            And who are you to know what other people need? Have you dived into the mind of the very people that adopted Linux for the free software aspect? No? Than what is your goal? Linux world domination? How are closed source core parts of an OS going to help it? Maybe the next thing that justifies closed source would be replacing the Linux kernel with NT? Yeah that would by means of virtualisation atract more users to Linux. What do we gain here, but utter crap? Maybe a little. But what do we lose here? Progress on the FLOSS parts of core OS code (counting distro?s as OS?s).

No, xorg is required by many users to support the binary drivers. If xorg drops support for the binary drivers many users will drop Linux as a platform.
            The pressure on nVidia is too high to not, just like fglrx, work around the legacy code/write more conformant code.

Running a file server was part of this discussion?
            And you said that I couldn?t read... ;
            Originally posted by curaga View Post
            You asked for cards in use, not cards still for sale. Even then there's probably a ton of r128 server boards for sale.
            And now back to you;
            If you must but you only make yourself look like a fool to do so.
            As you whish... After all... I for one don?t want to look like a fool to play it whisely by asking you if it is OK to stop. Last time I checked a fool was the direct opposite of a whise, but whatever. In your universe nothing seems to be bounded by anbything that doesn?t appeal you. For example building a future investment, contrary to direct gain and long term loss... So tell me; if you don?t care about FLOSS, but do care about a UNIX like OS with a feature rich experience then why don?t you head over to apple.com and buy yourself a Mac OS X computer?

Comment

And you said that I couldn?t read...
              Actually I should've asked can you think clearly.

As you don't seem to be able to I guess we'll have to play along with your rot. But the nets fulls of such people. There's no reason the Phoronix forums wont have any of them.

Comment

Actually I should've asked can you think clearly.

As you don't seem to be able to I guess we'll have to play along with your rot. But the nets fulls of such people. There's no reason the Phoronix forums wont have any of them.
                And finaly, after you wanted to on, the complexity of this argument in maze of quoting took its tole.

But simply putting argumentationaly founded disagreement on the same line as as 'rot' is saying more about you then about me.

Comment

And finaly, after you wanted to on, the complexity of this argument in maze of quoting took its tole.

But simply putting argumentationaly founded disagreement on the same line as as 'rot' is saying more about you then about me.
                  Ah but you see V!NCENT, you're artificial intellectualism makes no sense. I previously thought you were wanting to have a sane discussion. Even if we disagree, it's possible to talk about the differences. You began to wonder off into some weird gibberish so I've surmised that you're either completely bonkers or a troll but either way not worthy of any attempt to reason with you.

Comment

In open source world... You know here many times devs don't give a damn about what users want or need... Devs write the software for their own fun or need and so they work on features they need/want ...

Oh and for the sake of it I'll just point that Xorg devs rejected nvidia patches for using the blob as default one without Xorg conf ...

If you consider this I'm quite surprised then they are keeping some code in for nvidia blob sake... Let's face it if it was out nvidia would just had to adjust to it sooner or latter.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                      In open source world... You know here many times devs don't give a damn about what users want or need...
                      You're right there. Thankfully this isn't completely universal but not uncommon.

Devs write the software for their own fun or need and so they work on features they need/want ...
                      The guys that get paid mightn't have that perspective though.

Oh and for the sake of it I'll just point that Xorg devs rejected nvidia patches for using the blob as default one without Xorg conf ...
                      I'd probably agree with their position on that one. I don't think the blobs deserve to be the default choices given the problems that could create but I don't think the xorg guys should be flippant with respect to the blobs place in the Linux world. But of course, ultimately it's their choice to do what suits them however wise or unwise those choices may be.

If you consider this I'm quite surprised then they are keeping some code in for nvidia blob sake... Let's face it if it was out nvidia would just had to adjust to it sooner or latter.
                      Surprising but pleasingly so.

Comment

Working...
                      X