Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Or When Will X12 Actually Materialize?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Xlib is the only true, large and irreplavable legacy cruft? Good! E17 is maturing as a desktop shell and I recently found out that E17|EFL works on Xcb.

So in order for me to respond I first need a deeper underatanding of the architecture. But are you saying that the complexity is something from the past and that the complaints from the critics are all at least largely adressed? Because I remember going through LFS and found that without the automated buildsystem it is quite hellish. So is the complexity adressed at the code level too?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      So Xlib is the only true, large and irreplavable legacy cruft? Good! E17 is maturing as a desktop shell and I recently found out that E17|EFL works on Xcb.

So in order for me to respond I first need a deeper underatanding of the architecture. But are you saying that the complexity is something from the past and that the complaints from the critics are all at least largely adressed? Because I remember going through LFS and found that without the automated buildsystem it is quite hellish. So is the complexity adressed at the code level too?
      Honestly, I'm not sure what you're talking about. And yes, without automation, complicated things are difficult. Film at 11.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
        Honestly, I'm not sure what you're talking about. And yes, without automation, complicated things are difficult. Film at 11.
        I am talking about the legacy cruft and everything that's asociated with that.

And about the build process; it isn't about whether or not it's complex with or without it, but about the fact that the source code is spread among a gazillion files.

Comment

I am talking about the legacy cruft and everything that's asociated with that.
          These parts being? I have a sense that a lot of X and what it does is not legacy. There is definitely legacy cruft, but I don't think the X server is spending a huge amount of time dealing with it.

And about the build process; it isn't about whether or not it's complex with or without it, but about the fact that the source code is spread among a gazillion files.
          There's nothing non-standard about the build process. It's a collection of auto-tooled packages. The only annoying thing is the dependencies between the packages. That has been solved by a plethora of build scripts (and may further be solved by merging all the proto packages into one and possibly also the drivers back into the X server). I myself have used jhbuild. Others use build.sh. If you are bothering to build X from source and aren't using Gentoo, you should be able to handle jhbuild or build.sh. In any case, considering the scope of X, it's not surprising that it is a bit complex in terms of dependencies among packages. A desktop environment is similarly, if not more, complex.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
            These parts being? I have a sense that a lot of X and what it does is not legacy. There is definitely legacy cruft, but I don't think the X server is spending a huge amount of time dealing with it.
            No... there's no use of Xlib at all for example >.<

There's nothing non-standard about the build process. It's a collection of auto-tooled packages. The only annoying thing is the dependencies between the packages. That has been solved by a plethora of build scripts (and may further be solved by merging all the proto packages into one and possibly also the drivers back into the X server). I myself have used jhbuild. Others use build.sh. If you are bothering to build X from source and aren't using Gentoo, you should be able to handle jhbuild or build.sh. In any case, considering the scope of X, it's not surprising that it is a bit complex in terms of dependencies among packages. A desktop environment is similarly, if not more, complex.
            Braindead... THE FILES!!! TWO HUNDRED AND NINTY THREE >.<
            You know... sourcy cody... little bitty study... complexy taking lots of timey? Get it?

Comment

PS: nevermind...

Comment

The xorg xserver and it's related libraries makes up an entire graphics stack. As siride mentioned, it's not akin a single application, it's more on the scale of gnome or kde. So yes, it has a lot of files, it also supports a lot of functionality. So while there is some cruft there most of those files are needed.

Comment

@agd5f,
                  What are all these files, actually? Are there lots of extentions that each have their own file/header? Or is it just overly modular, or... ?

Comment

@agd5f,
                    What are all these files, actually? Are there lots of extentions that each have their own file/header? Or is it just overly modular, or... ?
                    Which files are you talking about, exactly? Do you mean the packages? Or do you mean files in the X server source code?

Comment

• Originally posted by siride View Post
                      Which files are you talking about, exactly? Do you mean the packages? Or do you mean files in the X server source code?
                      The music files on my MP3 player.

Comment

Working...
                      X