No announcement yet.

The First DRM Pull Request For Linux 2.6.35 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a quick check at my favorite vendor reveals that I could still buy a HD 46xx for AGP today. That's r700.

Anything faster wouldn't be useful, most AGP machines have an older, slow CPU that cannot utilize a high-end GPU anyway. Good luck finding something with a recent CPU socket and an AGP slot.

Comment

what? ur joking? i have a mainboard (asrock 4core dual sata ) that support a quad core and hs agp :P

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        Sure. And you are free to add support for it. But when AMD employees spend a disproportionate amount of time on AGP and other legacy support I find this quite problematic. An hour spent on legacy support is an hour not spent on support for more recent hardware. And this is precisely an area where AMD is lacking.
        Did you see any AMD employees working on AGP at all?

Most of the AGP patches are from community members who really can work on what they like.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by lolren View Post
          what? ur joking? i have a mainboard (asrock 4core dual sata ) that support a quad core and hs agp :P
          I had one of those too, but it also features a PCI-e slot right beside the AGP one, so stop being sneaky

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
            You're right my mistake. Not so much AGP this year, just some other commits for r1xx/r2xx. Which are ~10 years old. I can't wait to get my Evergreen support in 2020. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              You're right my mistake. Not so much AGP this year, just some other commits for r1xx/r2xx. Which are ~10 years old. I can't wait to get my Evergreen support in 2020. LOL.
              Power management is across all the chips, you can't implement it just for one chip, the r100 code is used up to r500 etc.

Dave.

Comment

Power management is across all the chips, you can't implement it just for one chip, the r100 code is used up to r500 etc.

Dave.
                Well yes. And although this topic is about the drm. I wasn't specifically referring to the drm driver. If you look at the ATI driver you'll also find recent commits for legacy cards. Now you could say that these are bug fixes. But again we're talking about 10 year old cards. People in the community are free to do what they want. But I don't think this should be a task for people on AMD's payroll. I think all this bug fixing and playing helpdesk for people with legacy hardware is at the expense of support for newer hardware.

Comment

Most of the AGP patches are from community members who really can work on what they like.
                  I've also noted consensus with developers seems to be a (mild or not) hate towards AGP with its quirks... Nice that someone bothers trying to get it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                    why losing time working on AGP support, while AGP has been deprecated for so many years now?
                    Not a lot of people still have AGP card, and if they have, it's for running servers that just need to display console/TTY. So no need for a particular power from gfx.

Can someone explain that to me?
                    In my place almost all people use still AGP cards with R200-R500 chips in their PCs at home.

Edit: Btw. What's "AGP scratch page support"?

Comment

The AGP cards are still AMD products, and not perfectly supported. Of course it's good to spend some time with them too, especially in a market with a lot of them.

Would that one hour really bring Evergreen support a week faster?

Comment

Working...
                      X