Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The X.Org, Mesa Plans For Ubuntu 10.10

Phoronix: The X.Org, Mesa Plans For Ubuntu 10.10

The talk at the Ubuntu Developer Summit surrounding the X.Org plans for Ubuntu 10.10 just wrapped up. Compared to the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS release, Ubuntu 10.10 should provide a much more recent and up-to-date graphics experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

phew, terminology

A couple of questions on this if you dont mind

Some of the Direct Rendering Manager improvements that are likely to be integrated into the Linux 2.6.35 kernel include H.264 VA-API support for Intel Clarkdale/Arrandale ASICs
    Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here. H.264 VA-API support means hardware accelerated flash video right?

Is this something that is unlikely to ever be developed for the proprietary nvidia driver because both nvidia and adobe seem uninterested in working on this?

for Ubuntu 10.10 they are not looking at providing Nouveau 3D support by default. [..] It was just with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS that they even enabled the Nouveau KMS driver by default for NVIDIA hardware.
    Nouveau KMS means the Nouveau 2D driver right? So, Ubuntu 10.04 never shipped Nouveau 3D by default at all?

Thanks

Comment

Huh? What's wrong with i8xx under KMS?

Comment

Originally posted by waucka View Post
        Huh? What's wrong with i8xx under KMS?
        Yeah I know.. I mean its slow but still alot better than even a mach64 which is still supported

Comment

I'm curious as to how they'd plan to support ATi hardware if they went ahead with X.Org 1.9, given how long it took for the closed-source driver to support X.Org 1.7. What are they gonna do, pull in a pre-release of fglrx from mid 2011?

Comment

Magic, that's what.

Comment

I got a little lost with the status of Gallium. Is it going to _only_ be used for R500 in the best case? Does that mean that R600/700 will need to wait to 2011? At least in Ubuntu? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Well, considering that there is no working gallium driver for r600+, it is highly unlikely that there will be a stable release in 5 months.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  I got a little lost with the status of Gallium. Is it going to _only_ be used for R500 in the best case? Does that mean that R600/700 will need to wait to 2011? At least in Ubuntu?
                  It would be better if they just finished OpenGL 2.1 and GLSL 1.2 with the classic mesa r600 driver (and maybe optimized DRI2 a bit). Then the r600 Gallium3D driver wouldn't be needed so much and could wait a while for gallium to mature.

Comment

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here. H.264 VA-API support means hardware accelerated flash video right?
                    No, unless Adobe gets around to using that interface.

Comment

Working...
                    X