No announcement yet.

More Backporting Madness: X Server 1.8 To 1.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backport or not. I just tried it on a livecd and I must say. IMPRESSIVE 2d performance on my hd4860 :-)

Comment

Then I'd say you're easy to impress.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Debian stable is stable and old.
        Debian bleeding edge is bleeding edge.
        Something is missing in between and that is Ubuntu; mostly stable but also new features.
        Exactly.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
        I've been using Lucid for 2 weeks now and really the only thing to complain about is the quality of the binary fglrx driver, but that's something that affects every distro.

Comment

I do love the X.org edgers repository. Nouveau 3D in an easily installed package! The only downside is that it breaks every other update. But that's why it's experimental crack for technology junkies.

As for all the backporting, I'll let them decide what's best for them. If they think they can handle the workload, then by all means, do it. It's difficult for upstreaming bugs though... the bug squad must know their packages intimately for this all to work.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Gallium doubled 2d performance on nvidia cards over nv driver. If that doesn't impress you. Nothing will. I can only imagine what the ATI group is doing with real help and regular information dumps from ATI.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
              I do love the X.org edgers repository. Nouveau 3D in an easily installed package! The only downside is that it breaks every other update. But that's why it's experimental crack for technology junkies.

As for all the backporting, I'll let them decide what's best for them. If they think they can handle the workload, then by all means, do it. It's difficult for upstreaming bugs though... the bug squad must know their packages intimately for this all to work.
              I don't think it has anything to do with nouveau. I think they are just wanting to dump HAL for udev because they don't want hal hanging around for 2 more years. I think they are just going to put all the udev changes from 1.8 into 1.7.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
                Gallium doubled 2d performance on nvidia cards over nv driver. If that doesn't impress you. Nothing will. I can only imagine what the ATI group is doing with real help and regular information dumps from ATI.
                I'm gonna get impressed when I can have a Linux desktop that performs better compared with what I get when I use Windows and OS X. Right now, it's not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Well does 'better' / same 2d performance as in windows 7 impress you? Thats what I got. I have the 'old' windows 7 RC installed, and its 2d acceleration is comparable with the one I get in Lucid.

The only thing which is still a bit sloppy is flash (big surprise).

Comment

Lol I tried KDE 4.4.1 on a four year old Dell business desktop with a Pentium dual core on Fedora with the experimental driver package an compositing Kwin to the max and it's so blazingly fast that it gives Win7 and even Mac OS X a run for its money.

If X manages to get even faster drivers than my brain can't keep up with it.

I am not going to comment on DE's, my point is that mesa drivers are already fast as hell!

Comment

I think two opposite prevailing views are in conflict here:

1. A Long Term Support (LTS) release should be stable
                      2. An LTS should be pretty current when released, otherwise it will become archaic during its lifetime

I also think these two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. In fact, the reason they seem contradictory is based on a ridiculous claim, IMHO:

3. A distribution release can be stable from day one.

You need to let a month or two go, and then get the release plus the first batch of updates and fixes. Alternatively, get it from a vendor (Dell, HP, System 76, Zareason, etc) who will have gone some extensive testing on the hardware they are selling you.

So, in short, the focus should be to release something current, which would mean, among other things, all this crazy backporting would never come into play.

Comment

Working...
                      X