• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    ceage
    Phoronix Member

• ceage
    replied
    I don't understand why people find it so problematic when the Ubuntu-Team goes with 2.6.32. Is it somehow especially hard to install a custom kernel on Ubuntu?

Leave a comment:

• iskarion

• iskarion
    replied
    Also regading the Clarkdale IGP on the Intel i3/i5 CPUs it would make sense to backport more 2.6.33 DRM.
    With 2.6.33 the Clarkdale IGP is supported way better than with 2.6.32.

After all Canonical wants to sell Ubuntu support contracts to corporate customers. For some reason IT departments of big companies prefer to buy office PCs with Intel IGPs, so having a release with long term support and with good Clarkdale support will be a good selling point.

Leave a comment:

• gsacks
    Phoronix Member

• gsacks
    replied
    Agree with all the other posts. I can't believe that they didn't go with 2.6.33 in the very first place. Seems like Canonical has taken their eyes off the ball lately. 8.04 was great. 8.10 was buggy at release (so I hear. I never used it). 9.04 was generally solid. 9.10 - buggy again. Looks like they are setting themselves up for trouble with 10.04 LTS. And here I thought that the .04 releases were the good ones. Kind of like even numbered Star Trek movies.

Leave a comment:

• thefirstm

• thefirstm
    replied
    Originally posted by waucka View Post
    The rationale for sticking with 2.6.32 is that it should be more stable than 2.6.33, and third parties (like AMD and NVIDIA) have more time to get their closed-source drivers sorted out. I doubt they will switch to 2.6.33 so late in the game, but it's not entirely out of the question.

Personally, I would like to see them switch to 2.6.33 and tell AMD and NVIDIA to just deal with it.
    NVIDIA has already added support for 2.6.33 to the latest 195.xx.xx beta.

Leave a comment:

• Hephasteus

• Hephasteus
    replied
    Originally posted by waucka View Post
    The rationale for sticking with 2.6.32 is that it should be more stable than 2.6.33, and third parties (like AMD and NVIDIA) have more time to get their closed-source drivers sorted out. I doubt they will switch to 2.6.33 so late in the game, but it's not entirely out of the question.

Personally, I would like to see them switch to 2.6.33 and tell AMD and NVIDIA to just deal with it.
    Ya it's kind of setting up your long term release 3 miles out in the ocean instead of getting all the way to the island where you can build fire and forage food.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
    I agree. They should just go with 2.6.33.
    Agreed. Backporting the DRM for pretty much every current graphics architecture is going to have tons of support headaches. It'd simplify things quite a bit if they'd have chosen 2.6.33. I can understand being nervous about using a new kernel for an LTS release, but in the long term, I think it'd be a better option. Keep in mind, they may have other reasons to not go with 2.6.33 which overrule the graphics issue (which I'm not aware of).

As of now, the biggest hurdle I can think of would probably just be getting adequate testing time in before 10.04 is out (assuming they were willing to change).

Leave a comment:

• waucka
    Phoronix Member

• waucka
    replied

Leave a comment:

• thefirstm

• thefirstm
    replied
    I agree. They should just go with 2.6.33.

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    + 1

I downloaded a Kubuntu daily live CD yesterday, it just booted into a black screen on my ATI hardware with kms. Seriously this cherry picking stuff seems like a recipe for disaster to me. Just go for 2.6.33

Leave a comment:

• d2kx

• d2kx
    replied
    Their kernel gives me graphical corruption with KDE 4.4 (Kubuntu Lucid). When I install Linux 2.6.33, the problems go away. That is all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X