X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by gsacks View Post
    I relegated my 780G board to 'net-top' duty in the living room because I got fed up with fglrx, and the open source drivers did not offer any 3D at the time (no compiz). I have not updated the driver in well over a year. I replaced it with a 9300 nvidia board for VDPAU acceleration in XBMC for the newer HTPC. Are the open source ati drivers able to handle compiz at this time on the 780G/785G integrated gfx, or is that all still in the development branches ?
    I honestly have no clue if the OS drivers have r600 support out of the box for 3D/compiz, as I have been using the development branches exclusively for almost a year now. If you wait until lucid is out, I'm pretty sure it'll be included in that release without any work on your part (it might be in 9.10, but I don't know).

I will say that I've been using compiz on my dual-display desktop for the last few months on my 4770 without issue, but I've never tried to enable compiz on my 780G/785G chipsets because I didn't have need of compositing on my HTPC. I am assuming it would work (since it works on my 4770), but someone else should be able to answer that. All my HTPC displays is a MythTV front end, so compositing wouldn't really do anything for that box.

If no one else knows, I might be able to try it when I get home (I'll have to try setting up compiz on xfce first).

Leave a comment:

• gsacks
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    Yeah, I can understand the WAF issue (well, pre-WAF for me). I guess I'm lucky in that PA hasn't caused me any grief on my mythbox, and I've just been using the xorg-edgers PPA to keep my 785G drivers up to date using the open source stack outside of the kernel update cycle.
    I relegated my 780G board to 'net-top' duty in the living room because I got fed up with fglrx, and the open source drivers did not offer any 3D at the time (no compiz). I have not updated the driver in well over a year. I replaced it with a 9300 nvidia board for VDPAU acceleration in XBMC for the newer HTPC. Are the open source ati drivers able to handle compiz at this time on the 780G/785G integrated gfx, or is that all still in the development branches ?

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Well, you actually make a good point. I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 and did not verify if dkms was still installed after the upgrade. I will have to go check that. I sure hope Lucid is more stable. For my desktop, the video and audio issues I can deal with. I keep a copy of XP around anyway if I really need it to play a game or some video that won't play on Linux. But for the HTPC it needs to pass the WAF test. Everything needs to work 'just so'. And even thought I haven't had a need for Windows on a regular basis, the fact that I'll soon be able to get a cablecard TV tuner and set up a high quality DVR with Win7 means that Lucid has to be rock solid for me to not switch over the HTPC.
    Yeah, I can understand the WAF issue (well, pre-WAF for me). I guess I'm lucky in that PA hasn't caused me any grief on my mythbox, and I've just been using the xorg-edgers PPA to keep my 785G drivers up to date using the open source stack outside of the kernel update cycle.

Leave a comment:

• gsacks
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    Are you sure DKMS was installed?

Regarding stuff like Pulseaudio etc., Lucid should be way more stable.
    Well, you actually make a good point. I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 and did not verify if dkms was still installed after the upgrade. I will have to go check that. I sure hope Lucid is more stable. For my desktop, the video and audio issues I can deal with. I keep a copy of XP around anyway if I really need it to play a game or some video that won't play on Linux. But for the HTPC it needs to pass the WAF test. Everything needs to work 'just so'. And even thought I haven't had a need for Windows on a regular basis, the fact that I'll soon be able to get a cablecard TV tuner and set up a high quality DVR with Win7 means that Lucid has to be rock solid for me to not switch over the HTPC.

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    Two words. "Pulse Audio". Ok, that and the fact that the most recent kernel update broke my Nvidia drivers, and I was using the 185 driver loaded through the hardware driver tool. So, I had to disable it, and go back to installing the driver myself. Which was no big deal in and of itself. But a kernel update just should not break the display driver (since DKMS, anyway). 9.04 was rock solid for me, and my slightly older build is still running 8.04 and is also pretty solid.
    Are you sure DKMS was installed?

Regarding stuff like Pulseaudio etc., Lucid should be way more stable.

Leave a comment:

• gsacks
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    Hmm, I'm not sure what you're having issues with, but I'm running Mythbuntu 9.10, and it's working just fine for me. What seems to be the issue with your machine?
    Two words. "Pulse Audio". Ok, that and the fact that the most recent kernel update broke my Nvidia drivers, and I was using the 185 driver loaded through the hardware driver tool. So, I had to disable it, and go back to installing the driver myself. Which was no big deal in and of itself. But a kernel update just should not break the display driver (since DKMS, anyway). 9.04 was rock solid for me, and my slightly older build is still running 8.04 and is also pretty solid.

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Phoronix spreading misinformation again -- support for 1.7 doesn't end yet and there'll almost certainly be further point releases, there's just no schedule for them.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    For 10.04 LTS, I'm actually glad that they are sticking with 1.7.5 because
    9.10 was such a buggy piece of crap that I find myself considering switching distros again, or even going back to Windows, at least for the HTPC.
    Hmm, I'm not sure what you're having issues with, but I'm running Mythbuntu 9.10, and it's working just fine for me. What seems to be the issue with your machine?

Leave a comment:

• gsacks
    replied
    Stable is good

For 10.04 LTS, I'm actually glad that they are sticking with 1.7.5 because
    9.10 was such a buggy piece of crap that I find myself considering switching distros again, or even going back to Windows, at least for the HTPC.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Fifth Stable Update Ends Out X Server 1.7 Series

Fifth Stable Update Ends Out X Server 1.7 Series

Phoronix: Fifth Stable Update Ends Out X Server 1.7 Series

X Server 1.7 was released back in October with support for X Input 2.0, Multi-Pointer X, and other improvements after having arrived several months late. Since that initial 1.7 release some five months ago there have been new stable updates / point releases made available quite regularly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X